Thread: animal rescue... too many deaths at my house...

Unhappy animal rescue... too many deaths at my house...

I wasnt really in this mood, but I decided to look at this forum... I started crying and thought I would just post something! Due to my mom being a vet tech we fostered a whole lot of ill animals. Of all probably one third have passed on. I feel horrible that I dont remember each one, or the dates of each one, even my own dogs I cant remember now because there were so many. I just felt like I should do a little shout out to each one that I can remember....

all the cats, i wont mention all of them because this is a dog forum

Jany May- one out of 12 in a litter. She had the 'failure to thrive syndrome' and was euthanised due to a vet that was an idiot...

no name- an adorable high energy mutt at animal control. I was convinced we would adopt her. I had my dreams for her... agility, flyball, her cute little half tail would cause her whole body to wiggle when I talked about it. She got a cough before she was placed up for adoption... and euthanised....

again, no name- Husky, no white mask, but other than that the typical red markings. Adorable, great personality!!! She was left at a dog park with her companion husky so this actually goes out to both of them. They were both euthanised... No one ever adopted them, and at the time there was a lot of political drama in animal rescues so no one saved them... The red got a cough... then a few days later a DOG AGRESSIVE dog was put in the kennel with the other husky, she was attacked and her foot was broken... euthanised....

Oso- black lab puppy, a flat white hamster on his chest. Our first time dealing with parvo........ Oso bear...... we didnt have him long enough to realize what a sweet puppy he was... I wish we would've had that extra time...

Tinkerbelle- pointer mix.... She was the tiniest thing, she was probably 2 feet tall, yet only weighed about 3 1/2 pounds. She had kidney failure. We had her for about 2 months I think, she is now burried in my yard (she was the only one we could have burried, the others were euthanised and after the animal gets the 'blue juice' in their systom they arent aloud to be burried...)...

Gangster- pit bull puppy, blk/wht, only about 6 weeks, adopted him from animal control, 2 days later hes taken to get neutered back at animal control... comes home violently ill.... parvo again... (we waited 6 months in between each puppy... Parvo has a 10 day justation period and we'd had him 3 days...)

BoJangles- my baby!!!! 2-3 years Pure Aussie, I will try to get pix of him up here. Red tri. HUGE 75 pounds big for an aussie. got him on my birthday, 2 weeks later found out he had epilepsy... His medicine helped to a certain point, but he still had rolling grand mals every so often. 3 months later he had 10 within a 2 hour period of time. We tried to give him injectable Valume (vet said it would stop seizures) he fell over a brick, breaking his back (the adrinaline [due to seizures] aloud him to walk, but it was only until he came out of shock that he wouldn't be in pain).. he was taken in to be euthanised....

Tank- aussie/pit mix. He was Bo's puppy companion... after bo passed he got depressed and so did his immune system. We left town for a while, came back and found him skinny as all ****... The housekeeper had taken him out somewhere and he had gotten parvo... He could have been treated, but he had also eaten something metal that was blocking his systom so the vet would have to do surgery, but due to the parvo and the blockage... nothing could be done... he was euthanised...

There are so many more... I cant believe I have forgotten any!!! I feel so guilty about how many animals have passed away that were once at my house, or were once loved by me... (the animals at animal control that I mentioned at the top never had the chance to come to my house and feel at home) Then I talk to someone and they say, its not your fault these animals were brought to you for a reason, they needed love before they passed on and that is what they got. I just feel irrisponsible seeing as though I have so many animals I can mention... So many more were saved, but the ones that get to me are the ones that weren't able to be saved...... Im sorry all, this is so long. I had to get it out....

It is ok to vent, it is healthy and makes one feel better if anybody listens with passion. It is not your fault animals die mostly when fostered as they are ill when you get them. It is hard to vet each and every one, u just do your best to comfort, feed and love them.

DO not take on a guilt trip over what has passed, God has a plan, we cannot do anything about it. Bless your Heart and moms for doing this....

Back for GOOD! Senior Dog Member+ goldensammy's Avatar
    I'm sorry this had to happen to you, and that you have to encounter death so often. Just know that what your family is doing is great. More people should be like you... taking in animals - purebred or mutt - and making them part of the family, whether they are perfect or ill. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon
    & Sammy

". . . So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt - because every sixty seconds you spend upset, is a minute of happiness you'll never get back."

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+
    I'm so sorry! You have done a great thing and like GoldenSammy said there should be more people like you in this world!

Full Member Full Dog Member sibes's Avatar
    I am sorry sorry to hear this I too foster and run a rescue and I can understand as I have been there too. but you have to try and keep your chin up and say the next dog or puppy needs me even if it is for a day or two becaue that love you give that animal in those few days or weeks or months is worth its weight in gold

So chin up you are doing great
    rescue does not mean damaged

This is an old thread-- from 2yrs ago.

Full Member Full Dog Member sibes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by whimzikal View Post
    This is an old thread-- from 2yrs ago.
    opps did not read the date new this post still figuring it out
    rescue does not mean damaged