Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: digging .....no clothes will be safe........nothing seems to work

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Unhappy

hi i have a black lab puppy his only 3 months old and his started digging and ripping the clothes off the line
    ive made him a snd pit to dig in but he doesnt care about it he'd rather dig up the garden
    and ive try to put things on the line when im out there and tell him not to touch them but as soon as im goin his back at them his already ruined a couple of clothes
    PLZ HELP
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Two words- crate training. Labs always want something in their mouth. At such a young age you should have him in a crate with a chew toy when noone is able to watch him. If you can get him to about 2yrs of age you can slowly give him run of the house. My pup graduated to his own tiled room at about 16 months. At 2 he was rewarded with his own doggie door and free reign of the house and yard. A crate will be your best friend.

no offence but he has loads of toys
    and i have tryed that but only 4 a lill while (only a couple of days)but he just digs at the edges and i dont really have the time 2 take him on loads of walks and i feel he might not get the exercise he needs
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Senior Dog Member

If you don't have time for walking - try just throwing a ball around in the backyard. Also - don't leave the dog unattended with clothes on the line.

As for digging - I don't know what to tell you. I've got a 6 month old Husky - and he digs and digs and digs! I have craters in my backyard. I just keep an eye on him when he's out - and try to catch him in the act. Then I tell him no - and bring him inside. If anyone has any suggestions on digging - I'd appreciate them too.
    (it's a good thing I don't have a garden - or it would be long gone by now!)

I hope you can be ok with the digging. That's why I crated mine so he didn't acquire the bad habit. Labs are very high energy and if they are left alone to their own defenses, well dogs are dogs. He is still so new. The books say to give them their own sand box and bury treasure to keep them occupied but if your not there to nip the digging you may be fighting a losing battle.Crates may sound like a bad idea if you have never tried it but it may make for a great dog later on. It will definitely help you get through the terrible teething times. You'll have a dog you can travel with and trust alone. 2 yrs is a small price to pay for a pup that could live to 18 yrs. Does he have another dog playpal that can wear him out?

Senior Dog Member

I don't think I would put up a sand box for him - if I did it would be for the kids - and not for him. I don't mind the digging - I can deal with it. That's pretty much his only vice - and if that's the worst thing I have to worry about - then I'm lucky.

*Plus - I can use my dog for an excuse for my lack of gardening skills!

Full Member Full Dog Member

I have a Chow and a Yorkie, both of them just LOVES digging out my plants in the garden!We have put thorn branches everywhere we don't want them to go, so maybe that could help you. When you put your clothing up, put something around the lines that would block him off.

I put an electric fence around the flower bed after our youngest (a year old) ate my camellia. He's sweet, but he has chewing issues. Tons of toys, but he like my plants, all of them.....

As for the clothes on the clothes line, Opie quit pulling them off after I got really stern with him. He did it a couple of times, but he did stop. I think the movement when the wind blows was just too much temptation. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Yep I think bearsmom is right. The movement attracts the dogs and they grab and destroy.

When my dogs would dig where I didn't want them to, I put their poop in the hole and buried it. They wouldn't dig there for awhile. But It sure kept them away. They got the hint and dug elsewhere.

Yep, my lab mix Mickey is about 9 and still likes to chew. I try to have plenty for him to chew.

Good luck
    I love cats too.

There is an organic/natural gardner radio talk show host here in Texas that recommends taking the dogs potty and putting it in the areas where they are digging. It sounded a bit farfeteched and gross to me at first.... but, hey I was tired of my roses and plants being uprooted! I was willing to give it a shot. To my amazement, it worked!!! After a rain or heavy watering I just pitch a pile or two in the area and she doesn't dig there!!! I can hear the chuckles and see the eyes rolling... but, don't knock it 'til you've tried it!!!!
    Lou in Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast