Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: annoying barking dog

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Every day my neighbor accross the street puts their dog out on the porch around 10:30 in the morning .It then proceeds to bark about every ten minutes for the rest of the day untill they take it back in around 10:00 at night , pretty much barks at anything that moves . Its a big St. Bernard I think ,so its pretty loud and annoying.What would posess some idiot to do such a thing . I don't get it . What are my options for dealing with this problem ? I'm looking into antibarking devices that shoot a high frequency sound that annoys the dog when it barks . Teaches them not to bark . Any one ever try theses .
    Last edited by erdog3; 11-14-2004 at 05:07 PM.

Personally, I don't see what they're doing wrong, and you're really not in a position to directly do anything about it.

Personally, I don't see what they're doing wrong, and you're really not in a position to directly do anything about it.

They are disrupting the peace and tranquility of the neighborhood with their loud barking dog. First thing I should probably discuss the problem with the dogs owner, however I doubt if that will work in that they will probably have a reaction similar to yours.

Senior Dog Member

You can try talking to the neighbors - but that probably won't do any good. Your next step would be to call the police and have them talk to the owners about it.

Personally - I hate when my dogs bark at thing while they're outside. If they start barking - they get brought in. They pretty much know not to bark if they want to stay outside. Except Chance always barks at the mailman. He really hates him - poor guy. The mailman even knows all the dog's names in our neighborhood - brings them treats - and Chance still hates him.

From your post, it sounded to me like you thought that they should take their dog outside. That is what I was responding to. They should take some sort of training measure to get the dog to stop barking. However, if barkind dogs are the largest annoyance in your life, count yourself lucky. I would suggest talking to the owner, they're probably at work during the day and have no idea that he's even doing it.

Full Member Full Dog Member

Thumbs up

I have to agree, talk to the owners, they probably don't know that their dog are barking.
    Cowboy, my little Dachshund, has a high pitch bark and he's inside all the time and I have to correct him from just barking to hear himself bark.
    Good Luck!
    Darlene Brownlee

I'm not real thrilled at the idea of approaching these people with the obnoxious dog. They appear to be quite a tribe , quite different from any of the other familys in the neighborhood . Originally there were four asian or oriental women living there , then a couple of them got married or found boyfriends and moved them in too and now they're having babys , so its kind of like a communal living arrangement.
    I'll probably check into the local ordinances regarding barking dogs and find out what the ground rules are .
    I am tempted to try one of these antibarking devices advertised on the web.

The Super Bark-Free anti-barking device $79.99 + S&H $7.80. This device has two settings, ultrasonic and audible. When set to ultrasonic it will NOT be heard by humans. Humans can hear the audible setting loud and clear. Both settings are effective at deterring dogs from barking. When a dog barks within 50 to 60 feet of this device it will respond by blasting the offending dog with a strong ultrasonic blast of 130 dB. This blast can be effective for over 100 ft if placed in a line of sight to the dog and there is little or no foliage to buffer the sound waves. This level of sound is about the noise level as if a fire truck were to pass by you as you stood preparing to cross a street. This device can be set so humans cannot hear it. The sound is emitted for few seconds past the time the barking stops, and then resets itself waiting for the next bark. It can be set to allow 1,2,3,4 or 5 barks before it is set off. This allow a dog to bark a time or two before it is blasted. The Super Bark-Free is for outdoors use only, it has a removable cone to give greater distance and can be directed to a specific target. It is weather resistance not water proof, so try to place it in a protected area if possible and cover it with a plastic bag if rain is expected. The unit is powdered by four "D" size batteries (not included). You can expect about 2000 activation cycles per set of batteries. We offer a free 30-day trial and the manufacturer’s warranty is for two years. Your card will not be charged until 30 days after you order.

You know, I've never heard of that, but just based on the description, that's going to make him bark more. Just like dogs barking at the UPS truck, it's because their engines make a much higher pitched noise than most vehicles. It's going to hurt his ears and annoy him. And if the owners found out, there's a pretty good chance that you could get in trouble for it. I really think the honest thing to do is approach the owners. Then again, it might be that they're already working with him. If you're allowed to have dogs in your area and he's on their property, there's probably nothing you can do legally. And if you approach it from a legal standpoint to begin with, they're going to be much less willing to work with you.

Thumbs up

I guess then find out what the laws are with barking dogs. I hope everything turns out for you and be careful.
    Darlene Brownlee

I agree that the first approach is as a neighbor, not a complainer or victim. Communication can lead to a better solution than being arbitrary. I think the "Golden Rule" would be a good place to start. There are some cities/towns that have noise nuisance laws, just as some have leash laws. If the neighborly approach meets with no response, I would take the next step and consult the local ordinances that would apply. It might be wise to have that information as a point of discussion if it becomes necessary. If they are from another country they just might not realize there are ordinances.
    Lou in Texas

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast