Thread: Can't keep dog

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Can't keep dog

We have a 5 year adult male Lab mix. He's a wonderful family pet. But only this family. When we have company he's very aggressive and barks constantly. Our family is growing and we have added several grandchildren to our family and I don't trust him around the children. He is trained in every other aspect. I've done everything I can think of and I can't break him of his fear of others. I don't want to take him to a county shelter because I know he wouldn't be adopted because of his aggressiveness. We don't want him put to sleep. WE CANNOT KEEP THIS DOG!. Any suggestions?

Loves Karma Senior Dog Member+ rutylr's Avatar
    If you can't trust him around your family,then how can you trust him with someone else?
    If you place that dog in a new home and he bites could you live with your self.
    Some times we have to make choices we don't like.
    Having done rescue before I would not take this dog nor would I rehome him.
    Donna
    Buckwheat

Dragoon

Gojira

Sometimes a dog is all bark and no bite.
    We have 5 German Shepherds, they bark at everyone who does not live inside this house. They act all big and bad, but when push comes to shove there not a threat to anyone.

Boudiga Senior Dog Member+ Faith's Avatar
    are you willing to spend a little money on it? may-be an animal behaviorist can help see something you could be doing different or help you with additional training. you're vets office may be able to refer someone.
    Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would establish a no stranger zone for this dog. At 5 years of age, it is unlikely that he will be easy to re-train. Put in a kennel or dog run. It does not have to be huge but large enough to allow him a dog house, and some room. Then when you are expecting company, you can put him in his kennel with a nice large marrow bone. I would put a secure lock (with key) on it so the grand children can't get to him. He is entering middle age and might only have 5 or so years left.

That's what I would do - after all he is the way he is because of his experiences (or lack thereof) as a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by DaxAriel's Toy
    I would establish a no stranger zone for this dog. At 5 years of age, it is unlikely that he will be easy to re-train. Put in a kennel or dog run. It does not have to be huge but large enough to allow him a dog house, and some room. Then when you are expecting company, you can put him in his kennel with a nice large marrow bone. I would put a secure lock (with key) on it so the grand children can't get to him. He is entering middle age and might only have 5 or so years left.

That's what I would do - after all he is the way he is because of his experiences (or lack thereof) as a puppy.
    I agree with Dax. That's what I would do too.
    "The more people I meet the more I like my dog."

Yea Dax is right. The dog is 5 years old, accomadate him.
    When you have company over, put him in his kennel with some entertaining toys and treats. Then simply bring him back inside when everyone has gone. He'll love you for it.

pits mean love Senior Dog Member+
    I agree i have a collie that is like that although he is getting better, but if i ever had to get rid of him i could not in all seriousness put him another home because of his behavior not that i want to get rid of him i am just making a point we put him either in a kennel or on the chain while company is here
    birds, and dogs, and cats oh my

You need to train your Grand children how to respect dogs. Even if you give this dog away it is still something all children should learn. Have you tried a no kill shelter?