Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my dog won't eat dry food.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question

For some reason my dog will not eat dry dog food, I've changed brands and types thinking she just didn't like them but she will not eat them until she's starving. She likes the canned moist food but that stuff isn't cheap so I'm not sure what to do to get her to eat the dry food.
    ~Beth

Lightbulb

i have found that adding a little warm water just to soften it up a bit works really well for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Cristina L. Rogers

Full Member Full Dog Member

There are cheap canned foods for dogs if you look for them, don't go for the big brands because they are always the most expensive.
    ¤Dog Expert¤

Do not feed your dog cheap food. It is not nutritionally balanced, contains inferior products, and he'll have to eat more of it. Now, you don't have to buy the extra expensive stuff, but you do need to invest in quality. Dry or wet, the principle is the same.

I agree with Dawn, only feed your dog human grade dog food. Read some of Ann Martin's books if you feed the cheap stuff, they will make you do alot more research. Our dog eats like we do and she gets a multivitamin to take up the slack.

[ September 14, 2003, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Vernon ]

I agree. Even though the cheap stuff would work for your budget better, in the long run, the slightly more expensive food will be worth it. If you don't feel like mixing wet dog food, you can try VitaGravy (or something..like that). I can't remember the exact name but I think that's it. When kai went through the phase of not liking kibble alone, I added a tiny tiny tiny bit of gravy and parmesean cheese. I slowly weaned him off it and now he's eating fine.
    Ashley [the Hooman];
    Kai & Kaedyn [the Shelties];
    Noah, Allie, Tonks, Luna, Ozzie [the Tiels];
    Lucius, Will, Grace, Jack II, Tom Riddle, Severus, Karen, Cassandro II, Peekay, Cedric, G1, G2, G3 [the Bettas];

Dont even buy the canned food - there all filled with **** and make your dogs breath smell. Some good brands are expensive as they spend more time marketing their product than enhancing it.

I great food is boilded mince with veggies and noodles. Its cheaper and very easy to eat than canned food and much higher in nutrition. There are different minces so choose carefully - some have a higher fat content so look out for the premium.

You boil a batch to than freeze for until your ready. The preparation only takes 45 mins and your dog wont have bad breath.

2 minutes in the microwave - let it cool and you have a healthy meal.

Sometime I wish I could eat what I feed my boy.
    Peter<br /><a href="http://www.rottys.net" target="_blank">http://www.rottys.net</a>

I do not feed canned because of teeth issues. Keep in mind though that not all canned food is bad. Cheap canned food will be of poorer quality in the same way that cheap dry food will.

I agree that canned is bad for the teeth. The dog will eat when it gets hungry enough. They really don't need as much food as most people think they do. If it makes you feel better, change to a raw diet, then you know exactly what they are getting. Raw can consist of raw chicken and vegetables. I've never done it myself, because it is alot of work and my dogs don't have a problem eating anything.
    <a href="http://lisasdoghouse.20m.com" target="_blank">http://lisasdoghouse.20m.com</a>

Senior Dog Member

I add just a spoonful of canned food to about 2 cups of dry food - then I add a little warm water and mix well so that it makes a gravy. Our older dog is really picky - and this seems to please him.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast