Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydrocodone for dogs?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question Hydrocodone for dogs?

My 110#, 6 yr old, black lab is experiencing pain in his right hip. I don't know if this is the early stages of hip dysplasia, but I always thought that is a slow process. This was quick- he was fine in the morning, a little stiff when getting up from the sitting position about 6 pm and by 9 pm he had severe difficulty getting up from a laying down position. We had our first cold front blow through yesterday, too. I'm not sure if it's the weather or what. But I do have hydrocodone and I was wondering if that's safe to give him. I'm taking him to the vet as soon as I can, Thursday this week- but I want to give him something to help the pain in the meantime. I have 500 mg pills- if it is safe to use in canines, how many mg? Of course, I know any response is only a suggestion- I just don't want him to hurt for the next 3 days.

Thanks,
    cristy

Oh My sweetie I would never give one of my dogs our pain killers. Please wait, maybe give glucosomine from over the counter for now at Wal Marts. That is best for any injury, HD, whatever. I would be scared to death to give any mg of human pain killers to my big beasts here. I have joint Guard I give them daily to promote healthy hips, joints, ligaments, etc. I get it from www.springtimeinc.com/live and I use the Bug Off rather than Chemicals for fleas n ticks, we are flea free here because of the Garlic and in healthy condition because of the Joint Herbal wafers.

Kool kat Senior Dog Member+ bernicesmama's Avatar
    don't know about vicodin for dogs but I was told before by my vet to give Bernice asprin. They said nothing with acetemetaphin (sp?) in it. I would call your vet before giving your dog anything like that, it may complicate something by giving that medication.
    love more, laugh more and live more.

Boudiga Senior Dog Member+ Faith's Avatar
    i know it's late in the season for you, but i would also check for bite/tick marks. what you are describing sounds like some of the symptoms for Lyme disease.
    Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them, filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

Thanks guys- I was nervous last night too, which is why I didn't give him anything but plain aspirin. He's been such a healthy dog his whole life- it's just very hard being here at work knowing he's in pain, and then going outside with him and seeing his pain. I just want an immediate fix for him!

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Aspirin is fine.

The dose is 5 mg/lb.

110 lbs equates to 550 mg. I think Buffered Aspirin comes in 325 mg tablets. In which case, you could do a tablet and a half. This dose is for every 12 hours.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

I would go with the aspirin. I gave Mara 325 mg twice a day after her surgery and it helped her alot. I personally wouldn't give the Hydrocodone without Vet advise, it's got a pretty strong narcotic in it.
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

Full Member Full Dog Member
    I would just give the asprin. I would ask the vet about Rhimadol (a pain killer for dogs). I have some on hand at all times here. Booker has very bad arthritis in his front paw which he has had since he was 4 and he is now 11 1/2. I give him Rhimadol when he is in a lot of pain. Hip Chips work too. They are cookies with Glucosamine in it. The dogs love them. I would definatly start adding glucosamine to his diet because he is so heavy. This will build up the fluid in the joints
    Kids and Collies... a match made in Heaven

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Rimadyl is a great selection. But it's a prescription. So you'll have to wait until you get to your appointment later this week. Also, it has a tendency to cause GI ulcer and upset more easily than Aspirin on long term use. Something to be aware of.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Brodie's doing better!

Thank you all very much for your advice. I gave him more aspirin last night and he is feeling much better! It must have been the quick drop in temperature. I've been giving him treats with Glucosamine for about 6 months now just because I know as he ages, joint pain may be a problem for such a big guy. I'd love to post a picture so you guys can see who you've been giving such good advice for- does anyone know how to post? Thanks again!

Cristy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast