Thread: How Much Is Your Dog Worth To You?

Full Member Full Dog Member

I stumbled across this story and It made me think about how much my dogs mean to me and how much I'd be prepared to pay to get them back if they were ever held to ransom.
    Now I know this is a little far fetched but it does happen and the following story proves it:

How Much Is Your Dog Worth To You?

We hear in the news that a man from Denmark refused to pay a ransom of £6,000 for the return of his pet Beagle who was kidnapped by unscrupulous dog-thieves.

The owner, who decided to remain anonymous claims he is not interested in paying the ransom as the dog, named Skipper, is ‘too old’. He declared; “The dog is so old, that who knows how long we'll have him for after the payment."

When reading this story, two things sprang to mind.

How can anyone put a financial value on the love of a pet? And what would I do in similar circumstances?

After all, if someone did decide to steal one of my dogs and I received ‘the call’ what on earth would I do? Would I be straight to the bank to get the money? What if I could not afford the ransom? Would I sell the car? Re-mortgage the house? At what price would I baulk?

If I was asked for say, £5k would I pay it but refuse to meet £6k? What would be the consequences for my dog if I did not? Could I live with them?

As is very often the case with such horrible incidents as this, they do provoke a trail of thought.

So what do you think? How much would you be prepared to pay if you ever did recieve such a phonecall?

What do you think of these people below...Are they value for money?

That's a very good question. I would have to say that I would pay whatever I could without sacrificing my family. If you think about it though, if the police were involved when you gave the ransom money, you would get it back.

Senior Dog Member

I think I'd pay whatever. My dogs are like my children to me.

My sister and I had a similar conversation the other day. She was watching a TV show where the dog needed like $17,000 worth of medical expenses. (I don't know what happened to the dog, or what needed to be done). She asked me if I'd spend that much money on a dog. I told her I'd do it in a heartbeat. I don't care if I had to sell the cars, sell the house, whatever. My dogs have been there for me through thick and thin - and I'll be there for them too.

OK - now I'm starting to get teary eyed - and my puppy is chewing my sweater - so that's all I've got to write.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I've got a 22 year old friend who has a one year old baby and just got a weiner dog puppy, Fez. She had him for about four months and then found out he had some sort of disease that would cost about $2,000 to fix and another $200 a month to treat. She doesn't have that kind of money and can barely afford to buy everything her baby needs. Isn't that SO sad!?

But luckily, it turns out the vet misdiagnosed and she will only need to spend about $50 a month treating the dog. Thank God!

I would spend any amount of money to get my dog back - she is WAY more important than any amount of money. Likewise, I would never sell her for any amount of money.

I love my doggies. But I don't know. I agree with Dawn. I would never put myself and family in financial trouble.

But, I would certainly look for all possible ways to get the dog back legally.

Good question.

I like to call my dogs the "million dollar dogs" because I would sell them for that. But, really I would not sell my dogs for any price. Besides who would give me that kind of money for my dogs?
    I love cats too.

I would never risk financial stability in the house but I would do whatever I could to ensure the safety of my dogs and plead with the nappers to take care of them until they let them go.
    This is a very isolated situation and I doubt we will never go through this sort of problem but it is such a worrying thought.

Are these people value for money?

[ September 22, 2003, 02:07 AM: Message edited by: The Hound ]

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I agree with Dawn too
    Peter<br /><a href="http://www.rottys.net" target="_blank">http://www.rottys.net</a>

i would do n*e thing to git my poopies bak i love them to the end of the world i would do n*e thing (like i said)
    love 4rm the kewlest (a.k.a my dogs)

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Woooaahhh...

Topic Started : 09-16-2003, 02:10 AM

Anywhoooo...

Ok. My dog is awesome... He ran away one night (chased a man with a shopping cart down an alley for some blocks... VERY LONG STORY) And I had a spaz attack. He came back less than 10 minutes later, but nonetheless.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪