Thread: Disgusted in NY

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Hello, My 4 month lab mix is really getting me crazy. She has this facination with feces and I caught her trying to eat some for the last 2 days in my yard. I feed her 3 times a day with a mixture of puppy foods and she eats everything. I know this sounds like this is made up and I hope you believe me. She is 4 months old now and still needs her last well puppy shots plus her rabies vac. I am trying to clean the yard every time both of my dogs go #2, but with all the landscaping its hard. If anyone has had the similar experience I would really appreciate your comments as I have to wash my hands every time she licks me! thanks!!!

This can be caused by a number of reasons. The main three are hunger, nutritional deficiency, and boredom. She's probably not hungry. Although at that age, it is fine to let the free eat all day. What brand of food are you feeding her? You might want the doctor to do a blood test on her.

Senior Dog Member

When we got our first pup - he did the same thing. I could tell the minute I picked him up he was eating poo - his breath stank! Turns out he was on a very poor, cheap brand of food. Once we switched him to something with a little better nutritional content - he stopped. Try switching foods - but if all else fails, go to the vet.

Mom and WSS Breeder Senior Dog Member+ NicoleLJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One trick I like to do is teach the puppy to go in a pen. I have usually taght my puppies this by the time they are 3 months old. In my yard I have a pen that I built that is about a foot high and a meter square. My dogs either jump into the pen or go around to the side where there is a small opening to relieve themselves. This usually solves 2 problems. One it makes for quicker clean up and two the dogs can be kept away from this area until they figure out not to eat the stuff. You let them in to relieve themselves and them keep them away from it. It's very simple and it keeps your yard neat and tidy plus visitors and children don't worry about stepping into anything. I hope this helps

Full Member Full Dog Member

Wink

My friend has a young yellow lab male (not yet a year old), and he is a chow hound and they have him on one of the highest recommended non-chemical organic dog foods in Texas -- Muenster. But, he will still eat ANYTHING... including his poop! Seems this is not uncommon... especially with the "guys". The vet didn't seem overly concerned, but recommended that she sprinkle meat tenderizer and a little red pepper on his food...evidently it passes through and leaves a bitter taste (I don't know who tested this to come to that conclusion!!!!) but, nontheless, she is trying it. So far the vote is still out, but his breath has improved and she has not caught him at it lately. Living on a ranch it is not uncommon for the dogs to want to roll in and/or sample the cow ****, but have never had the "own poop" syndrome! [img]graemlins/flamingmad.gif[/img]
    Lou in Texas