Thread: Torn Cruciate Ligament (ACL)

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Unhappy

I've got a 4 1/2 yr. old Lab. Last night while working her to get ready to hunt this year, she went down in apparent agony. Took her to see the vet this AM & was told she has a torn ACL in one of her rear legs. Vet said only option was surgery to place surgical wire where torn Crucuate Ligament is.
    Anybody have/had a dog with similar problem & surgical repair?
    Any help is appreciated. She really means alot to me.

Thanks,

Ed

I've never heard of it in an animal. But have had friends that had it happen before. It's very painful. Is she on any pain meds?

I too am looking for info on it, as my vet feels my 7.5 year old Boxer may have a partial torn ACL. She is also in pain. Xrays were done on her hips, knees etc. No cancer or arthritis showing up, and bone structure all checked out OK. We put her on Rimadyl for pain, and limited her excersize for 2 weeks, and that helped, but now she is done the 2 weeks of meds, and she is once again in pain. I am just doing an internet "search" for info on this. If you need to contact me, please email me at lcminis@jam21.net My name is Mona. Thanks.

Also...thought this might be of interst to you...

Article

Actually....here, just check this out. There is LOADS of good information and explanations of the problem, and the surgery etc. Just thought I would share it with you. Hope you find it helpful. Google Search Results for ACL Tears

My dog is a Brittany and is now 13 yrs old. About 4-5 yrs ago she tore the cruciate ligament inher rear leg while running and playing at the beach. She stopped, and just sat at the waters edge. At first I thought she stepped on a shell or something. She would not get up. I had to carry her off the beach. She was used to this at the beach bec. she always did this and chased birds. Gave her a couple hrs at home and no better. Took her to an emergency vet (all vets were closed) and they did something to manipulate her leg and knew exactly what it was. She had to have the surgery 3 hrs away from my home(no one id it around my area) She had a cast on for several weeks. Like I said she is now 13, has some arthritis but still does the stairs and occ. runs alittle. I don't think you really have to much of a choice but to do the surgery. It was about $800 but it was worth it and she recovered rather quickly and managed on her own even with the cast. Hope your dog is fine.

my cousins dog blanche did the same thing she was chasing the dunebuggy at the farm and tore it going down the hill ,she had to have surgery .shes just fine now no problems [img]smile.gif[/img]

lucy had a ACL 4 yrs ago and is doing fine now at 8.she does have arthritis in her knee and hips. she is a border collie and always doing those sharp herding circles.which makes it easy to tear. it was her back right leg . the worse part was keeping her quiet for 8 wks while it healed in cast. only leash walking to go potty. border collies are hard to keep quiet. after the cast came off it was real important to have a good range of motion,working the leg and bending at the knee manipulating it while shes laying on her side. also swimming is the very best form of rehab no weight on joint but good movement . could not get my girl to swimm. we sure tried. also i was told when a dog tears one ligament its real likely they'll tear one in opposite leg , thank god that has not happened. i cringe when i see her run and turn in sharp circles!!!!but girls will be girls, its her herding nature. her surgery was done at U of I veterinary university by a wonderful teacher/chief of orthapedics C.W.Smith, who now has semi retired. i can't remember the cost but i'd do it again. at 8 shes slower and stiffer but so am i

my bullmastiff who is two has just had a cruciate ligament replaced by surgery. This involved slicing the bone and placing metal plates to allow correct movement of the knee joint. She will take 4 months to completely recover but already looks better. Very expensive-hope you are covered by insurance.