Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BREED QUESTION

Full Member Full Dog Member

I just posted this on "off the topic", but think I should have put it here...

What is the name of the breed that is solid black, looks like a German Shepherd, but is about half the size?
    Lou in Texas

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Not sure!!
    Nothing like a cold nose to wake you in the morning, (except maybe three cold noses)

Senior Dog Member

a really small one would be the skipperke - bigger than that i would say some sort of collie/lab mix. Some spitz breeds can look similar to a sheperd if they are really bad examples of the breed.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Skipperke is the closet I could come up with... is the docked tail natural or man made? The ones I have seen in the dog show arenas on TV are almost the same as the Ger. Sp.. perky ears, etc. They just are not as low-slung in the hindquarters. I pulled up a lot of Spitz pictures, but none quite matched the breed. It is not a mix because it was in the Madison Square Garden Dog Show and also the show that grades them on how well they fit the breed standard. This is going to make me nuts!!!!
    Lou in Texas

There's a groenendael. It's a Belgian shepherd dog that's solid black, weighs about 62 lb, and looks a LOT like a german shepherd.

There's the Australian kelpie. It can be brown, black, blonde, or red. They weigh 25-45 lbs, and they look like really, really light german shepherds.

Schipperkes are teeny, tiny dogs. They max out under 20 lbs. Most of them are born tailless, by the way. [img]smile.gif[/img] My border collie/chow looks like a schipperke on steroids - he weighs about 55 lbs.

im not sure what dog your talking about but here is a website i found that has pics of all the dog breeds, when you find it let us know, im curious

http://www.puppydogweb.com/gallery/index.html

Bearsmom, can't find a pic of the groenendael any suggestions where I might go on the web?
    Lou in Texas

MS533... thanks for the site info. That is a neat place to see pictures of breeds. I attempted to post one of Freckles...my first attempt at something like that... so we'll see.
    Lou in Texas

There's a groenendael. It's a Belgian shepherd dog that's solid black, weighs about 62 lb, and looks a LOT like a german shepherd.
    Bearsmom.. found a pic. of a Belgian Shepherd, solid black. Beautiful. Looks something like a shepherd/collie mix. Could be what I am thinking of.
    Lou in Texas

I was thinking of those, too. My little reference book didn't have their picture in it, so I thought maybe I was imagining that breed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast