Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arctic Wolf/Siberian Husky?????

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Arctic Wolf/Siberian Husky?????

I recently purchased a dog which the breeder said was arctic wolf/ siberian husky mix. I can see the Hushy in the dog but I have never seen a arctic wolf. To me it looks like a german shepherd. I can post a pic this evening. But I was just wondering if anyone knows about the arctic wolf breed?

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Did you see both parents? A male wolf is just as likely to kill a dog as mate with it.

If your dog is 1/2 wolf it would be considered a Hybrid. These are not ideal pets. Hopefully you are a VERY experienced dog owner to deal with some of the issues that these Hybrids have been known for.

Bubby Central Senior Dog Member+ AussiesCollies's Avatar
    I agree with Dax. I hope you are really experienced and know what you are doing with the animal.
    Crazy for Chi's! RIP Pebbles & Oreo

Ok now you all have me worried. I did see both parents and the male was the arctic wolf. I did get close to it with the pup I took home and it didn't appear agressive in any way. The pup seems very intelagent, more so than any other dog I have had. I was considering taking her to a profesional trainer as my expearience with training a dog is limited. I have trained her to sit and not drag me along while I take her for a walk. Judging from your post's I think a profesional trainer may be a good idea??

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEK
    Ok now you all have me worried. I did see both parents and the male was the arctic wolf. I did get close to it with the pup I took home and it didn't appear agressive in any way. The pup seems very intelagent, more so than any other dog I have had. I was considering taking her to a profesional trainer as my expearience with training a dog is limited. I have trained her to sit and not drag me along while I take her for a walk. Judging from your post's I think a profesional trainer may be a good idea??
    It is a great idea even if she was a pure Husky. Early spaying will help as well with some of the other issues like territorial aggression.

Bubby Central Senior Dog Member+ AussiesCollies's Avatar
    Well hybrids can be VERY aggressive. A woman down the street from where I used to live had one and it bit a couple people. But then again she had no clue how to handle that kind of dog. I would definitely advise you get a professional trainer now, so that way you can learn how to handle that sort of animal. Good luck!
    Crazy for Chi's! RIP Pebbles & Oreo

Thanks for all your input. I should note the male was not pure bred wolf, it is a mix of sheperd and wolf and the female is siberian husky. Anyway I love the dog so I will take it to a trainer and try to learn as much as I can.

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    It is highly unlikey that what you saw was an arctic wolf. They are an endanger spieces and taking them out of the wild is illegal, plus they have such a limited range and there is a limited number of them, if you actually saw one in the wild you are extrememly lucky.

Here is their history and a picture. Was this what you saw? Where is you breeder loacted ?

Picture source:
    webshots 1995-2003
    Twofold Photos, Inc.
    Arctic wolves are the safest mammals on earth, largely because they live in the most inhospitable regions of the planet. They are concentrated in North America, mainly along its polar edge, and in Greenland, where few humans adventured throughout history. However, some species can be found in Wood Buffalo National Park, Canada. Arctic Wolves (Canis Lupus Arctos) are in many ways similar to their Grey cousins, which can be found almost all the way across the western hemisphere.
    Because Arctic wolves haven't dealt with humans as much as their gray counterparts have, they react in a specific way, should a human appear within their range. While most grey wolves seek safety either in attack or in flight, an Arctic wolf may simply stand still and stare. This can even contribute to establishing long-term contacts with animals and befriending them. A senior research scientist of the Biological Resources Division, managed to spend several summers in a company of Arctic Wolves. He even had his boots unlaced by one of them.

Because of lack of access, there have been few opportunities for a careful study of this subspecies. Therefore, little is known about their history and evolution. But their kinship with gray species is evident, because Arctic Wolves retain great similarity with those.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

No, that is not what I saw. It looked more like a shepherd and has dark hair.

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    Well, you may just have a mixed breed dog there and it has no wolf in it. How big are it's paws ? How big was the Father ? I ask because wolves are huge animals with huge paws.

I have seen one in captivity( other then at a Zoo or in the actual wild )and that was at a GSD breeders place years ago. It was a sweetie but it was a wolf and it was kept in a kennel and not allowed to mingle with people very often. It was not used for breeding and I am really not sure why they had it. It was a timber wolf and it was big, huge paws but beautiful. Gorgeous animal.
    Some people say wolf to sell their puppies others really do breed hybrids.
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast