Thread: Cocosoya

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has ever used Cocosoya to help their dogs gain weight. My dog is ten and he's lost a lot of weight because he never stops. He has 150 acres to roam, and I think he covers every last inch of it. I bought him Cocosoya, and I've been giving it to him once a day for about 3 weeks now. The bottle says 1-2 tsp a day. I know these are just guidelines, and was wondering if I could up the amount to help him keep more weight on?

Thanks for any advice.

Never heard of it - i found just a mention of it on a horse supplement site. Id like to see any info you have on it.

I had a dog that was real thin for the same reason you mention. I was showing him so I needed to put some weight on, I used that satin balls recipe succesfully. Got his weight up in about a month.

Cocosoya is a mixture of Soya and coconut oils in a crude form. There are no perservatives or "stabilizers" like the ones found in cooking oils. The stabilizer found in the cocosoya is vitamin E. It is generally used for horses but can also be used for dogs and a variety of other livestock. I've seen the resuls in horses who have been extremely underweight and have had dull coats. Within a month or two they look absolutely wonderful. I've never heard of anyone feeding it to their dogs though and I would like to know more about it.

Oh yeah, what's this Satin Balls thing?

Thanks for the info.

Satin Balls is just a recipe someone conconccted to put some weight on.

Im sure i'll forget some of the ingredients but you'll easily be able to google a recipe. Its hamburger (raw) with total cereal/ corn syrup/ rolled oats/wheat germ/ gelatin/ eggs (raw)/

mix em all up.. roll em into meatballs and pop em to your dog as treats. They claim its balaced and complete, but who knows. I did it for a while with sucess-i personally wouldnt feed it over an extended time.

Kinda cool. My dog is already on whole raw eggs, he steals them from chicken coop. That kept him nice and fat last year, but he's so skinny now!

I thought uncooked eggs were harmful for dogs. I've read that at several places. I have four chihuahuas that love eggs...but I scramble them...and make sure their done. Raw eggs arn't good for humans more less a dog!?

Raw eggs are fine for dogs. Cooking is unique to humans, we don't have the enzymes necessary to digest raw food. The egg whites have something in them that actual deprive the dog of a certain nutrient, but egg yoke is very rich in that nutrient so it balances out. They can be harmful to puppies though. With all the other things my dogs eat, I don't think one raw egg a day is going to hurt them.

Humans can eat raw eggs as well with no bad side effects. (Assuming of course you can get it down, lol.) The dangerous side of it is the possible bacteria. That presents a threat to dogs as well as humans.

Full Member Full Dog Member

I grew up on homemade ice cream that was made with raw eggs (sure tastes better than the cooked custard stuff). They were eggs from our own chickens, which makes a difference from store-bought. Raw egg used to be the norm in a lot of high protein drinks. One day something is good for you, the next day they tell us it will kill us! My brother-in-law fed his black labs raw eggs by the dozen. Shiny, healthy coats and robust dogs.
    Lou in Texas