Thread: Chihuahua Pregnant

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question

Okay...I am a proud owner of 4 loving chihuahuas. I have 2 males and 2 females. My oldest female is now 9 months tomorrow, and we think she might be pregnant. I know, I know...how could I have let this happen. I had planned on breeding her when she was about 2-3 years old. The appropriate breeding age. She came into heat about the first week of December. We kept both of my males away so that there would be no contact between. On the night of December 10th some how one of my males...who is her age, got into the room with out my knowing, I had left the room for just a second to come back in and find that he had got to her. The were tied for about 10-15 minutes the most. After they were unattached she bled for about 5 min...at first it was kinda heavily and after that it died down. She threw up twice that night. After about a week she threw up a couple more times and then she stopped. We have no money what so ever to take her to the vet to get her completely checked, and I feel sooo horrible by letting this happen to her. If she is pregnant then she would be at Day 42 of her pregnancy. Today...she has thrown up about 4-5 times. Her stomach though is not really big...it's grown a little bit, by that i mean...okay....if you stand her straight up her stomach looks like a little hill or lump...if that makes since. What I need to know...is how big should she be by this time in the pregnancy. She has been acting like she is pregnant though...she's been mothering items plus she has also been mothering my 5 month old female chihuahua...treating her as if it was one of her puppies...also she has been mounting items such as blankets, pillows, etc. I just need to know what should she look like this late in the pregnancy and so on...symptoms etc. I would really appreciate it. If I could afford a vet...trust me Kammie(chihuahua) would be there in an instant.

I really don't know what to tell you. However, if you don't have the money to take her to the vet and have a test done (which is reletively very cheap), how are you going to afford to whelp and raise these puppies? Not to mention that if she is in fact pregnant, this is a very high risk pregnancy, and the birth should take place at a vets.

I agree...how am I gonna take care of the puppies if she is pregnant....argggg I should of been more responsible with all this...but I'm only human and nobody's perfect. All I can do is pray that she's not, and if she is.....then I better be figuring something out, and fast. But please at day 42 how big would a 5lb chihuahua be, just an estimate....would they start showing a bit...or alot or etc.

Senior Dog Member

ok whether your dog is pregnant or not it sounds like she is sick - its legally cruelty not to take a dog to the vet if its sick. You are violating the dogs right to freedom from pain and disease and can be prosecuted if she doesnt get the correct treatment. If you cant afford to care for your dogs properly then for goodness sake give them to someone who can.
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    can i just say that the syptoms your saying she has is likely to be prgnancy i have them in my dog and she is deffinatly preggies! but 1 thing i have to ask does she have clear fluids coming from her behind liqiud form witch gets more and more like discharge as she goes on in pregnancy if she has discharge that is not smelly and clear colured then 99 per cent she is pregnant i would highly advise this dog gos to the vets as you could risk losing her as well as the pups if she is pregnant before at very least 1 yr . is there not a charity group of some kind that helps look after animals for people who dont have alot of money as there is some in the uk where are u from

She should not be throwing up, something is not right. Try and arrange to get a vet u can make payments faithfully and get her checked. It is not that much money. Please find some vet that can assist and check her out. She is so young, something might be going on inside wrongly. Mine never act like this. Well, maybe they get an off day and eat grass, throw up, but not like your pet is doing. She really should be vetted, she could have an infection going on inside GOD knows what can go on.?

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+
    This is an old thread. I don't think she'll be having these problems any more.

Since she is a small dog. She is probably at a very high risk pregnancy. My oldest sister May has a chihuahua that required c-section to give birth. I think you should do something about it as soon as possible. Getting her checked won't really cost that much. Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm not trying to give incorrect information.
    14 years of me, and 2 of Gingerbelle....

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+
    This thread is almost a year old I really don't think it's a problem anymore.

lol, im really dumb, i just noticed that!
    14 years of me, and 2 of Gingerbelle....