Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do for cleaning teeth?

My older dog (Daisy, 7 yrs), has always had bad teeth, and has always refused to let my brush them. She also doesn't like dog toys, so I haven't tried any of those. I was considering buying her one of those green toothbrush-shaped bones, since it's a cheap thing to try. If she doesn't like that, what else should I try?
    Elite, Molly, and Daisy
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" --Dave Barry

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Will she let you rub your fingers over her teeth? If not, the only alternative is professional cleaning by your vet as surgery.

Go to your butchers and get an ordinary knuckle bone, dogs should have bones at least once a week to keep good dental health.

Mom and WSS Breeder Senior Dog Member+ NicoleLJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Ellierat. I like to have all sorts of bones for the dogs to chew on to help clean their teeth. The big knuckle bones are one of the best for cleaning teeth and I have yet to have a dog refuse them. Since I usually have a lot of dogs coming an going because I was a foster home and volunteer trainer for shelters and rescues, so having dogs and puppies with bad teeth and hating the brush is common here. I have put it on hold since I now have a 4 month old puppy that I am training to be my service dog and I am also 3 months pregnant so I am a little busy. Hope this helps.
    Nicole & Sheena

Full Member Full Dog Member

Greenies are really good for their teeth. They taste good to them, too. Anything hard and chewy is also good. Ice cubes help a lot. Be sure to feed kibble and provide lots of water.

In regards to the bones, should they be raw bones or could I give them bones that have already been boiled or baked? We normally have left over cooked bones but I'm nbot sure if it would be good to give them that given its been basted and cooked with all the spices and all. If it must be raw, do I just simply take out all raw meat and clean the bone? I know this must be a stupid question to many but I'm really quite ignorant when it comes to these things Thanks in advance!

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These should not be steak bones but large leg bones (Marrow bones) that won't splinter. Raw or cooked is your choice. Either will work fine. It's the s******** of the tooth against the bone that does the work.

Nor should they be chicken or pork, I do not advise to give any cooked bone as they become brittle and splinter, to be on the safe side you are better to give them raw.
    You can purchase bags of bones from the supermarket for dogs if you can't get to your butchers, if you are feeding a whole bone meat and all, just give the whole thing, then don't feed the daily ration of food for that day, but don't substitute all meals for bones.

does it not follow that raw meat/bone might have a bit of bacteria? I'm quite wary of this. Also, should i literally leave some of the raw meat on or should i just totally take off the meat and wash/soap the bone first before i give it to him. I'm very paranoid over my dogs so pls bare with me. Thanks!

Sheesh!! Ruth, your making this difficult. lol. . Now I'm no expert on bacteria, but I guess some things that can affect us don't necessarily affect our dogs, I never wash the bones, and I'm pretty sure when you give your dog one with meat on he will pretty much strip off the meat within a few minutes, depending on your type of dog, and size of bone. If you do want to wash it, just be wary of anything you put on it as bones are calcium, and calcium absorbs stuff, then in turn your dog will ingest it.
    My dogs will strip a bone, then bury it for future investigation, especially when it has gone nice and smelly, Sophie is 7, been to the vets for illnesses twice in her lifetime, so I guess the bones haven't done her much harm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast