Thread: Flea Dip

Full Member Full Dog Member MyMaddie's Avatar

Flea Dip

Do groomers do flea dips or does the vet do it? Does a dog have to be a certain age?

Collie Magical Senior Dog Member+ SalemWitchChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I normally have my vet do it though a groomer may be able to use a flea shampoo. The vet has stuff that works better though and it's well worth the extra $. The pup has to be 12 weeks I think though if it's life or death I think they will do it sooner. When I had my cat I had to have them flea dip him. When I first got him he was almost dead from the flea's.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

yes the dog needs to be a certain age for the flea dip ( most times). Also, some groomers aren't as exsperienced with medication ( such as flea dips) , as a vet would be. So i would approach that with caution. Some flea shampoos and flea dips are labed as to how old the dog must be before usising it. You can however use Dawn Dish Detergent ( the blue stuff), to kill adult fleas, pop them with a capstar ( kills fleas for 24 hours) and then apply frontline, and that will be the best thing to help kil the fleas.
    Aria

Love: Love is when you fall asleep on the couch and are woken up by a wet nose.

Collie Magical Senior Dog Member+ SalemWitchChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    But not the best thing for the animals coat. You should never use detergent on a dog. It strips the oils out of his skin.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

not in the case of Dawn .. its used by many of the vets here, and reccomended for puppies, since it isn't full of chemicals like the flea shampoos are. The flea shampoos are composed of almost pestisides to help kill the fleas. But on puppies and or sensitive skin dogs, dawn works the best without all the harsh chemicals. And can be used on very young cats and or dogs without risk.
    Aria

Kool kat Senior Dog Member+ bernicesmama's Avatar
    I would go to the groomer for sure. They do this all the time. They should aslo be able to tell you the minimum age for your pup to have it done.
    love more, laugh more and live more.

[size=4]Forget the Flea Chemicals that kill organs in your pet, put Garlic into the pet. Go to {link removed by dax} and get Bug Off, I never see a Flea, Never saw a tick in my 67 some years, honest trust me. This product is well worth every penny, stop giving vets the money for stuff that works when it feels like it, Garlic Bugs of any kind will not bite into, might jump on and jump right off. Used this for years and my dogs are healthy and flea and tick free. DO not let chemicals dry the skin and coats out on your pet only in a few weeks to have fleas again, stay on Garlic and stop fleas{link removed by dax}
    Last edited by Dax; 01-10-2006 at 01:04 PM.

but, too much garlic can be dangerous... so be careful when using it. Although , it is correct , that garlic is a natural flea deterant.
    Aria

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member
    I do not believe in flea dips; if you take the time to read the instructions they stipulate that one is to wear gloves when applying it on your pet because it will penetrate the skin and go into the bloodstream, so can you imagine what it will do to your pet?! AND besides which it is only a temporary thing and if the environment is flea ridden then your pet will be ridden with fleas in no time. Your best bet is to keep its bedding clean and apply frontline plus on the pet. Any shampoo for that matter will kill fleas that are on the pet, doesn't need to be an insecticidal-based one.

Boober Butt Fan! Senior Dog Member nana's Avatar
    i personally would not use a flea dip on my dogs. but then again i dom not live in a flea infested area. the one time my dog got fleas i bathed him in a citrus shampoo mixed w/ dawn an dapplied frontline and it worked i also had to use a flea bomb on my house>