Thread: I need help, my dog hasn't eaten for three days.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I'm ******** out because my dog hasn't eaten for three days. This all started from me spanking her for peeing on the couch. She has become very withdrawn from everything. All she does is lay around and nothing else. The only thing she is doing is drinking water. Our normal day she follows me everywhere and loves to go for a ride in the car, and I've tried everything I know to let her know I'm sorry and nothing is working. HELP

Is your dog a sensitive breed - greyhound or whippet perhaps, or little toy dog?
    Did you spank your dog when you saw her messing or later on when you discovered it?
    If the second, this is the reason your dog has shied away from you. By spanking her in this context she would have related this to the thing she was actaully doing at that moment - most probably wagging her tail, or any other type of normal happy doggy greeting.
    So, if she thinks the reason for punishment equals greeting/interacting with you, this would be why she is avoiding doing this again,
    and when animals are stessed the stress hormones can suppress the appetite.
    You say you have tried doing everything to show you are sorry - does this entail constant handling and fussing? Carrying on from the above possibility, this would be worsening the situation. On the one hand you would be making extra-special interracting overtures, but on the other hand she worries responding these equals getting spanked again.
    If this is the case, dont worry it is a common mistake.
    People think dogs experience guilt, so when they notice something naughty after the event - ie messing, chewing, stealing - the dog looks submissive, so people then deduce he "knows what he's done, as he looks guilty".
    But, wrong psychology - dogs dont experience guilt - this is human psychology. The 'look of guilt' is a submissive response to YOUR natural look of annoyance/anger.
    We're all human, we all snap sometimes.
    Next, just 'think dog' before you respond.
    If my scenario is correct, best carry on as normal, and she will come round to you eventually. If you keep making any special reparations, it may just perpetuate the confusion/nerves, and she will take longer to get over it.
    Let me if i'm on the right track, and if she is improving - good luck.

hello again, Cynthia, how are things now?