Thread: Thanksgiving

Full Member Full Dog Member

Question

I'm from South Africa and we don't have a "thanksgiving" here. All I know about it is what I see on TV and movies. Anyone out there cares to "enlighten" me? It sounds like something everyone should have all over the world!

Is Thanksgiving religious, I mean like Christmas?

Thanksgiving started after the Pilgrims had spent their first winter in America. Most of them died. That summer they made friends with the Indians. When harvest time came, they decided to have a huge feast. It was a long time after that before it was actually declared a holiday though. I believe it was by Lincoln, but not sure.

Ya Lincoln made thanksgiving a holiday. what dawn said is the history for thanksgiving, Its a day to b grateful, a day 2 reflect. No its not religious like Christmas, its more of a day to remember. Hope this help u understand it better, Its a great day to celebrate

[ December 04, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Breezy ]
    this is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be <br />when the world was younger and you had everything to lose

It is a day of gratitude for all the good received...not just for material things. Some do attend church services where gratitude is shared as part of the service. Thankfully it has not become as commercialized as other holidays...the rush and glitz has not become part of Thanksgiving..although there can be much ado about the food preparation that throws some into a tizzy. I like to think every day is a
    Thanks-giving day.
    Lou in Texas

PS re: Thanksgiving

http://wilstar.com/holidays/thankstr.htm

This website gives an interesting history...for the Puritan pilgrims it wasn't just a day of eating too much.
    Lou in Texas

Talking

Thanks for your replies, I understand better now!