Thread: Breeding Ages?

Full Member Full Dog Member Brindle's Avatar

Arrow Breeding Ages?

These are general questions about the proper age for breeding dogs, etc.

Females:
    1. At what age should a female have her first litter?
    2. What is the oldest you would bred a female for the first time?
    3. What is the oldest age you would breed a female?

Males:
    1. At what age should a male be bred for the first time?
    2. At what age should a male stop breeding?

DISCLAIMER: These questions are asked for the sake of learning, not because I wish to prove anyone right or wrong. I was prompted to ask this question by some discussion in another thread and I thought a topic like this would be useful to myself and others for learning other's experiences and opinions. Because the other discussion became rather heated, I included this disclaimer. Please feel free to share opinions, but please do not turn this into an arguement over who is right and who is wrong. Thank you.
    "We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." - Anna Sewell (1820 - 1878)

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If I were to breed,

1. I would try to aim for the first litter to be around two years of age
    2. I would not attempt a first breeding after 4 years of age
    3. I would not breed a female over 6 years of age and would have her spayed to avoid pyrometra

Males
    1. I would not breed a male before he is old enough to have earned the right - 2 years minmum.
    2. A seasoned experienced male would be fine as long as mounting and mating is not uncomfortable for him and he is in good shape. I would love to see healthy males at 15 years of age still mating as hopefully long life can be passed to the pups.

This is just my opinion as a dog owner not a seasoned breeder.

Full Member Full Dog Member Brindle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxAriel's Toy
    This is just my opinion as a dog owner not a seasoned breeder.
    All opinions are very welcome! No need to be a breeder, an owner is fine.
    "We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words." - Anna Sewell (1820 - 1878)

Full Member Full Dog Member Maxine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brindle
    These are general questions about the proper age for breeding dogs, etc.

Females:

Males:

DISCLAIMER: These questions are asked for the sake of learning, not because I wish to prove anyone right or wrong. I was prompted to ask this question by some discussion in another thread and I thought a topic like this would be useful to myself and others for learning other's experiences and opinions. Because the other discussion became rather heated, I included this disclaimer. Please feel free to share opinions, but please do not turn this into an arguement over who is right and who is wrong. Thank you.

As a seasoned breeder of over 32 years my policies are as follows..

Males.

I see no problems with breeding males, on a limited basis, just over 1 year of age providing their preliminary x-rays are good.

Females.

Females are not bred before two years of age. At that time I feel they are more physicaly and mentally capable of handling this. ******* are not bred past the age of eight, and only up to that age if they are in top physical health ,and have had no whelping problems previously.. My ******* are also not bred every season. After that they are spayed/retired.

Full Member Full Dog Member Maxine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxine
    As a seasoned breeder of over 32 years my policies are as follows..

Males.

I see no problems with breeding males, on a limited basis, just over 1 year of age providing their preliminary x-rays are good.

Females.

Females are not bred before two years of age. At that time I feel they are more physicaly and mentally capable of handling this. ******* are not bred past the age of eight, and only up to that age if they are in top physical health ,and have had no whelping problems previously.. My ******* are also not bred every season. After that they are spayed/retired.

Ok I guess I should have used the word "females" instead of the other term

Crazy Like My Boxers Senior Dog Member+ BratBoxers's Avatar
    I agree with Dax!
    Both males and females should never be bred before 2 yrs of age
    I would not breed a female over the age of 6
    I would allow a male to breed as long as he is still strong, healthy, and able.

Mommy Status Senior Dog Member+
    I agree with Dax and Sharky.
    I really don't think any dogs should be bred before they are at least 2 years of age.

Loves Karma Senior Dog Member+ rutylr's Avatar
    [
    Females:
    I would never breed a female before she was old enuff to have her hips x-rayed at the least,and be a CH and have an Obed title.

My females are bred about the age of 3 or 3 1/3 as it is more inportant that they prove themselves worthy they pump out puppies.

Since I only breed them once 4 is the oldest.

Males:
    Males again should pass at the least their hips,and also prove them selves worthy of being bred by being a CH and have performance titles.

If the dog is a great producer and proven him self in the ring he can still be producing puppies well after he is gone.

SG2,URO1,GRCH,UCI Intl CH Kendall HIC,RN,RL1,AOE-L1,CW-ZR1,CW-SR
    BIS,RBIS,RBIMBS,V,UCI Intl/UKC/CH,URO3, ARCHX Buckwheat RLPX,AOE-P,RE,CW-ZR1,CW-SR,HIC,BN,RL1X,AOE-1,RL2X,AOE-2,CAX,Total dog
    VP3,UCI Intl/UKC/AKC CH, URO1 Darla HIC,CA,Total dog

1: I don't think females should be bred before 2 years of age. Until that time, they are still maturing, both mentally and physically.

2: This one depends on the health of the female. If she's active, in good shape, again both mentally and physically, I don't see any harm in breeding her for a first time at 5, but then, depending on how the pregnancy/delivery went, that may be the last time or 1 more time.

3: Again, this is going to depend on each female. I've bred females that were 8. I know breeders that breed females at 10-11 years of age. I personally think this is a bit old, but they're not my dogs to say that.

MALES
    1: Males should be mature enough as well. While the AKC says that a stud can be started for use at 7 months of age, I don't agree with that. 2 is a good age to start. They are still maturing until this age as well.

2: As long as he and his sperm count is high and healthy, I'd use him until he weren't able to any longer. It doesn't take as much to be a stud as it does to be a brood b!tch.
    Patty Lemke
    www.countrysidebreeders.com
    Breeder of German Shorthaired Pointers

*Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about puppies.*

meany patrol deputy Senior Dog Member+
    I agree 2 yrs is best in most breeds for females ,males maybe a little younger. Also, females most be in really good health to breed at any age, your vet may be a better judge of the condition of the female then you. I have a 13 yr old pom who would love to get the chance to breed, the old randy goat! But he was retired years ago.
    With the new ultrasound equip. the vet can see the condition of the uterus and give very good advice on breeding older females.