Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New too

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Hi folks, came across this board and thought I'd join.
    I currently live with 2 German Shepherds and 2 Australian Shepherds, 2 cats, cockatiels and a tank full of fish.
    I have always had GSD's growing up and just recently started with aussies as well. I compete in agility, obedience, have done some conformation, herding and dabble in tracking. I also teach agility in my spare time. Two of my current dogs are Rescues, my female GSD, Sami, (rescue) was Nationally Ranked in agility in 99 #4 and in 00 #5..She is retired now due to OCD (genetic knee disorder) so I 'play' agility with my female aussie, Jynx.
    The boyz "Jag" (rescue aussie) is in training, and my black GSD "Dodge" is my retired show dog who does a little bit of everything.
    Anyhow, HELLO folks.
    Diane @ Jakoda Acres<br />Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OAJ OA OJC OAC NJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT CGC HIC<br />Steinwalds Four x Four CGC TT HIC<br />Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ JS-N<br />Jakoda's Jagged Edge (in training)

Full Member Full Dog Member

welcome to the forums. I have a rottie, a rottie/chow/blue tick mix, and a newly "adopted" chocolate lab/heeler mix puppy. (just got her today actually)

Hi : )
    this is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be <br />when the world was younger and you had everything to lose

Smile

Welcome to the forums Diane! [img]smile.gif[/img]

My Great Dane inspired me:
    www.bowwowbeds.net

G'day, welcome!!

Hi Diane,
    I would love some pointers about agility training
    my 2 JRT's..best way to work off excess energy I bet.

thanks for the welcome.
    Karen any questions feel free to fire away. I' have a friend who has 20 JRT's, rescues mostly, I've worked with a few and they are a hoot to train altho frustrating at times LOL
    Diane @ Jakoda Acres<br />Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OAJ OA OJC OAC NJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT CGC HIC<br />Steinwalds Four x Four CGC TT HIC<br />Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ JS-N<br />Jakoda's Jagged Edge (in training)

Diane
    What would be an easy back-yard thing to do to get my pups going? Or a simple first step agility exercise. They are a hoot Sam answers the phone when we are not home. I have to remember to put it where he can't get it. The calling party gets a few minutes of loud barking before they hang up.lol lol lol
    Smart huh but still pees in the house

Karen that is a hoot! Yes they are really smart dogs when it 'suits' them eh?
    There are tons of things you can use to get started in agility with stuff around your house..
    A plank that is 12 inches wide by 6 - 8 ft long is a great starter, you can work on him walking across it, stick a brick or cement block under it, to work your teeter stuff, stick a cement block under each end use as a dogwalk type piece.
    also use a bench or short table as 'table' exercises, stick in the ground poles like garden stakes can be used to teach weaving, kids tunnels can be bought inexpensively as well, hoola hoops make good 'tire' use.
    Most of the things I work on with my really young dogs, are focusing on me, working on getting them comfortable on either side of me, going in between my legs, stopping on 'stairs',
    I teach alot of "touching" using a plastic lid, then transfer that 'touch' to other objects, end up transferring it to agility contacts.
    This site http://www.cleanrun.com has loads of agility info, they also put out a monthly publication Clean Run Magazine, that is a wealth of information.
    Teaching the basic obedience stuff (sit, down, stay & most importantly COME) will get you on the right track to transferring all that to agility.
    The JRT's I've worked with pick up agility work VERY quickly, I've taught weave poles in about 15 minutes, (of course not perfected but the general concept), the thing with the JRT's is keeping them handler focused as they definately can find something more interesting to them to do while your trying to navigate a course LOL

Diane,
    Thanks for the tips. I am on my way to that web site you suggested. I don't know who will have more fun this spring...me or my pups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast