Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My dog is marking EVERYTHING, please help

Unhappy My dog is marking EVERYTHING, please help

I have 2 dogs, a female Peke, 4 years old, and a male Pug, 2 years old. My pug is peeing on Everything!! I keep them locked in the kitchen at night, as it is the only spot with out carpet, and when I wake in the morning, he has usually *marked*4 or 5 of the following: the Table legs, chair legs, the Fridge, washer, dryer, and garbage can. He ALWAYS pees on the corner wall by the sink. I can't have a bed skirt on my bed, as he pees all the way around the skirt. He does most of this at night when we are asleep, so I cannot get on to him for it.
    I have tried everything to get him to stop, and nothing works. Someone told me to spray vinager where he has pee'd, and that would stop him, but it didn't help. He also pee's on my female dog.
    He has not been fixed yet, as I wanted to breed the 2 dogs together.
    Any ideas?? Please help!!!!

Thank you, Rachel

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You need to clean everything with a good enzyme odor neutralizer. Then... bring out a crate. A correction can consist of a leash-pop, a spray in the face, shaker can shaking...

Please fix your dog as well... There are many homeless mutts in this world. Not to mention the serious health hazards of breeding brachycephalic dogs, and a male that is larger than a female. There are many threads in the breeding forum that can help you.
    Last edited by Moo; 01-15-2006 at 11:33 AM.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Senior Dog Member
    Neutering him and spaying your bitch will definately help. There are so many dogs in shelters needing homes, please reconsider breeding.

To stop the marking, do as suggested - a good enzymatic cleaner that will remove the scent, and a crate. If he isn't crated, he's leashed to you. If you catch him lifting his leg, a sharp AH-AH will normally stop a dog mid-stream. Take him outside and praise him when he finished outdoors. Do not leave him loose in the kitchen if you don't want him to mark. Crate him.
    "A dog wags its tail with its heart."
    ~ Martin Buxbaum

Do I need to keep him in a crate all night? He is only marking at night when we are asleep. IF I have to keep him in it all night, how does he know why I am keeping him in it?
    I use a spray bottle for correction, and I also took him out during the day to a spot they use for going potty when I caught him marking.... but then he started doing all his making at night, when I can't catch him.

As for the breeding, we are going to try once more then they are both getting fixed. Both dogs are the same size, although the pug does weigh about 5 pounds more than my Pekignese. All the pups are already taken if and when they have a litter. I have already talked to our vet about breeding them, and he says there should be no problems.

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    No problems yes, but there are SO many homeless dogs, and more than 80% of them in shelters that get put to sleep are mixed breeds? Why are you making more? PLEASE have your dogs fixed. It will also GREATLY reduce your males leg lifting, it may even eliminate it!
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaGoldenladybug
    Do I need to keep him in a crate all night? He is only marking at night when we are asleep. IF I have to keep him in it all night, how does he know why I am keeping him in it?
    I use a spray bottle for correction, and I also took him out during the day to a spot they use for going potty when I caught him marking.... but then he started doing all his making at night, when I can't catch him.

As for the breeding, we are going to try once more then they are both getting fixed. Both dogs are the same size, although the pug does weigh about 5 pounds more than my Pekignese. All the pups are already taken if and when they have a litter. I have already talked to our vet about breeding them, and he says there should be no problems.
    You do need to keep him in the crate all night. And, the crate should only be big enough for him to turn around in (so he doesn't go in one end and sleep in another). The purpose is he learns to hold it all night and not mark. Dogs are naturally clean animals who in almost all cases will not go where they sleep.

And, as Moo mentioned, the Nature's Miracle, or other enzymatic cleaner is essential.

My dog was peeing on our bed at night (probably a dominance issue). Now, she sleeps in her crate all night. I've finally increased the space she has in the crate since she has never peed in there.

Good luck.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Blog Entries
    In that case, I disagree with your vet. Both breeds require c-section births, both breeds are brachy, and have bulgy eyes. And 5 pounds makes a huge difference in a small dog. And even aside from the health problems that could easily arise in the puppies, this is a big risk for the mother.

May I ask what your reason is for wanting to breed them?

OK, OK....maybe breeding is not a good idea. The reason I have thought about breeding are
    1. I was told it is good to breed a female before you have her fixed, 2. I want one of their pups, as I think they will make beautiful pups, and
    3. my daughter & my son both want one of their pups, since I refuse to give up my baby girl, (my Peke) to either one of them.
    Probably all the wrong reasons, and just selfish of me, but those are my reasons.

I guess I will do more research on breeding before I decide to continue with it.

My vet did tell me that C-sections are needed in some cases with both breeds, but not always. You have to take it animal by animal and not the whole breed in general.

It was not my intention to get anyone riled up over my breeding decisions. I just read through several of the posts here, and liked what I read, and decided to join, thinking maybe I could get some help with my Pug's pee-ing habits. My Peke has always been an easy-going, wonderful dog, and I have never had to deal with a dog that is as hyper as my pug, nor had the marking problems I have now, and needed any ideas I could get to help solve these issues.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.
    R

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    It's ok... many of us here work in rescue. Sundays are my "put to sleep" days at my shelter... when dogs have been there too long, or arn't adoptable. Today we had to put down a "Puggle" becouse it was SO child aggressive, A whole litter of poodle/something mixes becouse they were too young and would take up too much shelter staffs time/money to raise (they were only a few days old, left on the doorstep in a box, two of 5 were already dead from hypothermia) and 2 cute lab mixes just becouse no one wanted them and there aren't enough homes.

Your female will be healthier if you have her spayed ASAP! There are SO many risks with birthing dogs...

There are plenty of "beautiful pups" at the dog pound who get put to sleep every day.
    If your set on a Peke or Pug why not go to the breed rescues? or seek out a responsible breeder (aviod pet stores at ALL costs!)
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Blog Entries
    OK, OK....maybe breeding is not a good idea. The reason I have thought about breeding are
    1. I was told it is good to breed a female before you have her fixed, 2. I want one of their pups, as I think they will make beautiful pups, and
    3. my daughter & my son both want one of their pups, since I refuse to give up my baby girl, (my Peke) to either one of them.
    Probably all the wrong reasons, and just selfish of me, but those are my reasons.

I guess I will do more research on breeding before I decide to continue with it.
    I just want to voice how glad I am to hear somebody say that. Having an open mind is a wonderful thing.

It is a myth that a female should have a litter before being spayed. In fact, every heat she has before a spay increases her chances of cancer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast