Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My chihuahua has a big lump on her breast

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member

My chihuahua has a big lump on her breast

I usually keep her in a pen with her bedding in there as she seems quite happy there; tonight I thought I would pick her up and cuddle her whilst watching television and whilst I was clipping her nails I noticed a fairly big lump on her breast - I am devastated. I have had her for 18 months as she belonged to an elderly fellow that had to go to a nursing home and died soon after. I am not too sure exactly how old she is but I believe her to be 11 years old, could be older. She has not been spayed. I had spoken to a vet when I first adopted her about spaying her and he suggested to let her be as the risk of anaesthetic is high for a dog of her age. I just did some research on lumps to refresh my memory and things are looking rather grim. I am clinging to a little bit of hope but I am dreading what I may be told. I will be seeing the vet on monday.

Has anyone had any experince with this sort of thing?

Is it a hard lump, or is it soft? Is it painful for the dog when you touch it?

Don't get all worried yet, my doby has a lump on her side--its soft and is a fat deposit. My mother-in-law's dog has the same thing, on the same place.

Definetly go to the vet, but most of the time if they are soft they are fat deposits.

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, you know what I'm going through with Bogey right now, having three benign and 1 cancerous lump removed. I would ask the vet to aspirate the lump before taking any other action. This can tell them what kind of cells are in the lump.

She did this to all Bogey's and was able to correctly three identify lipoma's (fatty, benign tumors) from a cancerous one. Try not to panic yet. Good chances are it's a lipoma. Keep us posted.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Is it

Is it on the outside or inside of her body? Ginger had some non-cancerous ones. I think lumps are normal for old dogs. Of course it is best to have them checked.

it's the actual breast that appears to have a lump; I will be seeing the vet tomorrow, fingers crossed that it isn't anything serious.

Thanks Debbie. How are you doing? How is Bogey at the moment?

Please let us know....prayers for Bogey and my little girl, Tammie.

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bogey's still in the hospital. It's been several days now. I should know more tomorrow. Thanks for asking. My prayers go out to you and Tammie!
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

thank you Debbie; my thoughts are with you all the time, we are both having to go thru this and it's not easy but hopefully with any luck both Bogey and Tammie will come out of this with flying colours.

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    She is older, she is unspayed, and she has a lump on her breat. Sounds like mammary cancer, not to scare you or anything. I would switch vets and vet who recomends NOT spaying, unless in extreme situations isn't a good vet, IMO. vet ASAP for ultrasounds/removal/biopsies.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Rottiegirl - she was already about 10 years of age when I adopted her and I have had her for about 18 months so even if I had her desexed then it wouldn't have made any difference; they say that in order to prevent mammary cancer a ***** has to be spayed BEFORE her first heat, if a ***** is spayed AFTER her 2nd heat then the chances are still diminished of her ending up with mammary cancer but the risks are higher than if she was spayed BEFORE her first heat. If she has had 10 years of having heats then the risks are high and had she been spayed when I first adopted her it wouldn't have diminished the risks whatsoever....I am just disappointed that she was never spayed when she was much much younger...my understanding is that she was never bred....obviously this elderly man that has owned her for the 10-11 years never knew of the risks with not spaying a *****....I have never actually met him, I adopted her through a woman who knew this elderly man, she had told me that she knew this man that had an elderly chihuahua but was having to go to a nursing home and therefore would have had to surrender her to a shelter....that is when I suggested that I would be prepared to adopt her as I wanted her to live out the rest of her life and not end up being put down. If I had met this man myself then I would have asked him several questions but unfortunately it was not meant to be as he died only a short time later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast