Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog eating other dogs food

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Dog eating other dogs food

Ok, we have an English pointer (who is a grazer when it comes to food) and a choco lab (who is a scarfer). Now we feed the lab in the morning, but the other one doesn't eat until midmorning to lunch time. Well, we usually leave the pointer's food down for him to eat when we're around and when he's around, so the lab doesn't eat it. Well lately the lab has been getting the food. She thinks that if we go upstairs or in the other room, she can eat it, even though she knows very well that that food is off limits. This dog is normally very obedient and can be scolded by anyone of our family (including my little 6 year old sister). But today how ever my sister yelled at her and smacked her twice and she still kept eating the pointers food. I need to show her that if she eats Mikey's food, she'll wish she was never born, that's the only way to stop this. She can't be eating his food becasue 1 it wastes food and 2 he has high fat premium dog food that will make her fat very fast. How should i go about punishing her? SHe is trained on the electric collars, but i don't know if that's a good enough punishment. Thanks for any tips.

PS She knows better then how she's acting.

Senior Dog Member
    Well I think your first priority is to teach your sister how to act with the dog "YOU DO NOT SMACK A DOG" letting her do this she is jus waiting to ge bit especially when a dog is eating.
    Now for a question, if you are experienced in using the e-collar, then set the dog up to go after the bowl, leave the room and when the dog starts to eat out of the bowl correct, if possible you should be out of sight this will make it so that the action is giving the correction not you, as the dog will then just wait to hear you it has to be unknown to the dog you are correcting just he action gets a correction.
    Bending over backwards for her highness Zoee.

Ok for one thing, we do smack our dogs. If you think thats abuse, then you go ahead and think that, but i know it's not. I smack our lab when she disobeys. Not around the head or anything, just the shoulder or butt. The lab is trained so she will not bite when she is being petted or messed with when she's around food. My sisters participate in our dogs training, since we don't really train her anymore because she knows everything she needs to know, we punish her when she doesn't listen. She's very bull headed and tolerent so when we punish her, it has to be physical, yelling does not work with her. So if she doesn't listen to me when i need her to, she gets a little smack. These smacks are not used when say, she doesn't sit or something, their when we need her to listen that moment. We can say the command a few times sternly and she'll finally get the point, but i don't want to have to do that. Anyway.

How many times will i have to do this hide trick and correct her? We also have to be able to see her because we can't hear her eating. Thanks.

You said that your pointer is more of a grazer when it comes to food. Is there anyway you could break the meal up into say 5 much smaller meals so that there is less food down at a time so that your lab is less tempted? The problem isn't so much disobeying her commands, but not being able to withstand the temptation.

Imagine if you had two small children and gave them each a big handful of their favorite candy. If one scarfs it down while the other has some left, then the first will really start to want some more. No matter how many times the child's hand is smacked, he is still going to WANT the candy. Even if he is completely obedient and never touches the candy, the temptation is still there to want to take the candy enough to drive anyone crazy. I hope that analogy makes since concerning this situation and you can see the temptation with you dog, especially since you have different dog foods and the high fat one may taste or smell better.

I am very postive reward oriented, so when I hear of someone punishing their dog I cringe a bit. If I told any of my dogs "no" they would just look at me like "you haven't taught me that trick yet". But since you already addressed that punishment is the way you train your dogs I won't get into that. I will just say that I won't be of any help trying to give you advice on "scarying" her out of doing it.
    As for her knowing how she is acting, don't be so quick to throw human understanding on dogs. They are not humans, they are dogs. When we see them behave, we think "aw, I would look something like that if I felt . . . " but dogs look much different than we do, they have different body language. You might say that she knows she has been bad because she crouches down, really she is crouching down because she knows she is going to be punished. You might think that sounds like the same thing, but it's really not. Another example is how people will make eye contact when talking, but if you try this with a dog they will look away because it is very threatening to them.

I understand the temptation. I could ask my mom to do that with the breaking up the food. Thank you for your ideas, and thanks for not getting into the punishment vs. positive reward. I don't want to get into that either.

Luckily Labradors have quite a hard rump, but I detest anyone who smacks an animal, let me ask you this, when you don't listen does someone come up and give you a smack, how about your sister?

If you are using smacking to train her not to eat the food, that is probably why she is disobeying. SHE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND!!!
    She will only stop doing it when you have taught her that it is not for her to eat, she doesn't know that the yellow bowl is for x and the red bowl for y. The food looks the same as hers, smells the same as hers, is in the same spot as hers, it must be hers. Why not eat it.

Labs are very smart, I know, I have 3 of them. Food is a big temptation, almost irrisitable for a Lab. If you left a piece of chocolate on the table and said nothing, do you think it would stay there for long, without someone sneaking it.

So my advise, don't try to train her, temptation of food will always get the better of her. Labs are disposal units, when we drop something on the floor we yell get the portable vacumme. (someone calls Ellie, over here girl).

Try this instead, we feed ours separately, don't leave any uneaten food on the floor. Your grazer will become a gutser when he/she can no longer be picky. And Please, stop hitting your dog, you are teaching everyone around you it's ok to hit those smaller.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your grazer might do better if you feed both dogs together in separate dishes of course. Once the gulper is done - give another minute or two to the picky eater then remove both dishes.

You can space out the normal daily amounts to allow for 3-5 feedings a day to start then gradually work down to 2-3 for both dogs.

Training a dog not to eat food left by someone else is nearly impossible and will only cause stress for both you and your dogs.

FYI, the word smack does not mean i hit them as hard as i can, it means a little tap on the rearend. Just to clear that up in case someone thinks i'm "abusing" my dog.

Ok, If my sister doesn't listen to my mother and openly disobeys her she's going to get a spank. But my other sister, never disobeys, so she never gets a spank. Same with our dogs. One, the lab, is really thick and does not listen unless you get her attention, and tell her your serious. So she gets a poke, or a spank on the bum. Our other dog we never smack because he was abused in a previous home, and all he needs is a sharp voice and he listens. End of story.

Ok, since you said it's impossible to train a lab to not eat food left, then i will work around it. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it. So, we'll make do. With the whole, don't leave the food down for the grazer thing, we tryed that, and he gets so grossly underweight you guys would probably call the SPCA on us. He already is underweight as it is, he doesn't keep weight on. Just this summer he's gained enough so you can't see his pelvic bones. Please don't try to lecture me on training, because i'm certainly not going to be able to convince you to poke, or smack your dog for a correction, so don't try to tell me to not do it. It's my belief that spanking a child, or smacking a dog for open disobedience is called for. Just like dogs in the wild will snap and bite at another for disobeying the alpha male or female. It's the way nature works.

Could you try hand feeding or playing games with the food to get your pointer to eat? This is usually done to build up confidence or trust but it might work to get your dog to eat as much as he needs to in a day. Does he know obedience? If so then have him do a trick and then give him a few kibbles as a reward. If he likes to play, get him in a room or area where the lab can't get to (can even be outside) and have little cups of food hidden around the area. Then tell your dog to find or hunt and have him search for the food and then eat it when he finds it. Also there are balls that you can put food in and they can roll it around to get the food out. I have a dog that likes this so much that she can be completely stuffed and still eat the food that comes out (she's a bit overweight so I try not to let her play this when she's already eaten.) Also, all of my dogs will scarf down food that is thrown losely on the floor (again even if they are not hungry). It depends on the dog's personality what they will like but some dogs do eat better if there is some kind of activity to go along with their eating. After all in the wild eating always comes after the biggest activity in a wild dog's life . . the hunt. If none of this work, tell me a bit more about your dog's personality and I will see if I can think of something to encourage him to eat more.

something I have always found to increase the appetite, if you are feeding any soft food, I mean not biscuits, heat it up a little, the smell will increase two fold.

The dogs sense of smell is their strongest sense, give it a try. Training the Lab not to touch it can be done, I'm not saying it is impossible, but it is easier to do this from a puppy, once they are older it is hard and time consuming to do.
    I have 3 labs, but only one was taught not to touch the cats food, she will walk in the laundry, look up at me, look at the food, and all I have to say to her is no, and she will walk away, but I taught her this, and not to chase the cat from 12 weeks of age. The other two would just bound in and eat what they could if they had a chance. lol.
    The only way you can do this for sure is to place the food in a separate room, then hopefully, train your grazer to go to the door, and let her in and out when she wants to, if she doesn't already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast