Thread: HELP! Puppy has sores on his belly.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Exclamation HELP! Puppy has sores on his belly.

We just noticed that our 11 1/2 week old puppy has small red bumps, some of which are filled with a thin pus-like fluid, on his belly.

They don't seem to be bothering him much, but they definitely don't look normal. The rest of his skin doesn't seem red or irritated.

Roughly resembles ant bites to me, but can't see how that happened. I suspect they're from laying on the plastic floor of his crate after he slobbers alot -- which he does during the day now b/c he still has some anxiety about the crate.

I bathed him with a light puppy shampoo and then used a mousturizing spray the vet had given us for when our other dog had dry skin (it's not an Rx and is safe for routine use).

Is there anything else I can do to help him feel better and help this clear up? Are there any puppy diseases this could be related to that I should be aware of just in case (he is up to date on all his shots)?

He felt a little warm to me, but he'd been sleeping. My thermometer for the pets is at the barn with my horse so I can't take his temp right now.

Also, if it is just from sensitive puppy skin staying moist in his crate, what an I do to keep him dry? We're not convinced he's housebroken yet so I don't want to leave something absorbant in his crate.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    --Erika

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's more than likely just a rash. You can place an old towel or piece of carpet in the bottom of the crate if you like. Just watch to make sure he/she isn't chewing it. When you first come home. Dry him off and clean it up a little. Air is most likely the best medicine.

Senior Dog Member
    i would throw just a small blanket in, easily washed, easily replaced, sounds like allergy to me though?
    Bending over backwards for her highness Zoee.

There is no contagious dog disease I know of with an accompanying rash as you describe. Easy quick way to roughly temp. check is to put your two first fingers on your own skin (providing you don't have a temp.) then place those same two fingers behind his ear, it should just be slightly warmer than your own.

Many diseases include other symptoms, lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrehea etc. If he is still eating and drinking and playfull, I would go with it just being a rash, he maybe sensitive to the plastic tray. He may have layed in his own urine if you are still crate training.
    I use an old piece of carpet at one end and newspaper at the other, if mine ever need to go into a crate.

Keep an eye on it, if it gets worse, doesn't start to clear or he shows other symptoms within 48hrs, go to your vet.

Ok. It makes me feel better to know it's probably just a rash. He's certainly still acting like himself.

He really isn't totally crate trained or house broken yet (as evidenced by he just walked up and peed on the carpet next to the desk b/c I didn't get him out soon enough after breakfast) so I don't really want to put anything absorbant in his crate. In my experience, that just taught the dogs they could go there.

Thanks.

Senior Dog Member
    You dont really want to make him go though having a contineuse rash? Do you? It is time to **** blanket in there, Whiskey never peed in his and had blankets and toys form 6 weeks in his crate. Although he did the step out of crate pee for the longest time
    Bending over backwards for her highness Zoee.

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    Just make sure that your pup doesn't have fleas. They can cause quite a stir on the belly making it look really ugly. Keep an eye on it. If it doesn't go away within a few days, call the vet. It could be a skin infection. It is easily treated with antibiotics.

Quote Originally Posted by sambucca/whiskey
    You dont really want to make him go though having a contineuse rash? Do you? It is time to **** blanket in there, Whiskey never peed in his and had blankets and toys form 6 weeks in his crate. Although he did the step out of crate pee for the longest time
    Oh, if it doesn't get better ASAP with me keeping it clean and dry, I'll definitely cave and put a towel or something in there. Just don't want to if I don't have to.