Thread: My dog begins screaming and poops all over floor

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Unhappy

Hello everyone, I am just here to ask if anyone knows what could be wrong with my 10 year old dalmation. About 4 days ago she all of the sudden began yelping/screaming very loudly and ran around the house pooping. She *never* poops in the house. We let her out and sat with her and she yelped twice more within 10 mins and pooped again, then she seemed ok, albeit scared. It happened twice more later on, and we took her to the vet, they took x rays and said they could find nothing wrong, so they gave her painkillers.

It is now 4 days later and my dog has been staying in bed all day long. She can barely walk with her hind legs, she poops spastically, she wont eat, and she looks sick. I was thinking that, God forbid, this might have something to do with her spine. Best case scenario however, i was hoping that it might just be some sort of annoying yet harmless parasite.

Unsure if this may have anything to do with it, but for a few weeks prior to this, she has a peculiar rash-looking thing right next to her butt that would cause her pain if anyone touched it and for the first time ever we saw fleas on her (and many). We had given her a few showers in a one week period and it seemed to have taken care of it.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Get a second opinion - Go to another vet.

Definately get her to a better vet asap. X-rays were completely inappropriate in this situation. It sounds like she's having some sort of severe neurological problem.

Dear TraneMinus:

I am a veterinarian and would be happy to offer my advice. Dogs will scream out in pain like that usually from spinal injury. The most common type of injury is invertebral disk herniation. X-rays in most cases will not pick this up. What concerns me about your dog is that she is having diffictuly using her rear limbs. The could mean that there is compromise secondary to spinal cord compression in front of the nerves that branch off and innervate the rea legs muscles. In severe cases, this could lead to paralysis. If you are still having problems, I suggest that you do seek a second opinion. In cases where there is a spinal injury with mild to maderate nerve deficits, I typically recommend a 3 week tapering course of steroids, with strict rest.
    I hope this reply was helpful. I have just created a canine and feline veterinary advice and health management website that I would love for you to check it out and reply with any thoughts or suggestions that you think may make the site better or more useful. I would also appreciate it if you would put the word out about my site to any friends or family that you think may be interested. I also recently published a book to be released on January 11, 2004. You can see a preview of the book on my website as well. The url is http://www.askdvm.com Thanks and good luck,

Roger L. Welton, DVM