Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog Seperation Anxiety?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

My youngest of two pit-bull terriers, seems to be having some emotional problems. I adopted the dog, in late November, from the animal shelter I work for. He's a good dog, very sweet, and has a great love for all people. But, mostly, he just loves me. And, this is great, until I try to leave the house. The moment I shut the door behind me, he screams like someone is killing him!! By the time I come back, from what-ever trip I had to make, it's usually a given that at least two garbage cans will be tipped over, there will most certainly be "potty" in my hall-way, and a pillow, a dog-toy, or what-ever other soft objects he can find, will be laying in shreds on my living room floor! Why in the world would he do these things? He doesn't do them when I'm home.

You need to crate him and leave him with at least 3 different types of toys to play with while you're not there.

I've thought about putting in in a crate. But, I'm afraid that may not truely be fair to him, seeing as Rune (His "sister") gets to run free all day long. It is a thought though, and I might give in and try it yet.

Why not crate them both? It's much safer for both of them.

If they get along, you could crate them together.

Crate them both? That sounds like a horrible thing to do! No offence,and I definately appreciate the advise. But, I've never done that with any dog I've owned. They live in my house just as I do, and I know I'd be upset if someone put me in a box! Eek! Rune had a crate when she first came here, and I think it's in the attic, somewhere, but I've never actually used it, and I don't know what either of them would do if I tried.

I also recommend crate training. Though I've always started it as pups that way it is a lot easier. Some people can never use a crate & there dogs don't touch a thing. But most of us aren't that lucky. That is his way of letting you know he doesn't like it when you leave him, he's bored, etc. If you are against crating him then check into doggie daycares in your area. I think they normally run about $12 a day or so. Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Bow Wow Beds

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar

I crate my 7 month old puppy and let my 4 year run free. I made the mistake of thinking that my puppy was responsible enough to stay out of his crate for about 4 hours while I went to work. Came home to find that Jack got into the garbage underneath the kitchen sink. Under the sink is where I store my cleaning suppies which Jack also pulled out and had all over the place. I am so darn lucky that he didn't puncture any of the bottles. I would never forgive myself if my dog died because of my lack of responsibility. Crate your dog if you love him. It is not cruel. Not in the least bit.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Why would you say that's horrible. It doesn't sound like you understand the concept of crate training.

I have a pit bull too, and I dont and never have crated him. He did the crying thing and tipping garbage cans and all that too. They are high energy animals and need to have LOTS of pyhsical exercise. I started walking/hiking and jogging with mine and it fixed the whole problem!
    Amy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast