Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clipping great pyrenees

Full Member Full Dog Member

Question clipping great pyrenees

last summer we dicided to get our two great pyrenees clipped, they were obviously uncomfortable and werent eating as they should (they're out door girls)

so we phoned around and three groomers just flat out refused and the one that would come out wanted over $400 ($100 just to come out, $150 each for the clipping then any "extras" and plus tax)

so in the end we shaved them down ourselves, and they are so much happier, they seem to have twice as much energy and are back up to their proper weight, and they seem softer now the fur has grown back

but ever since then I keep getting lectures on how great pyrenees should never be clipped and how 'mistreated' the girls are, even the UPS man told me off!

so is it really that bad to have great pyrenees shaved down?

I mean I don't want to hurt them, but at the same time I wont begrudge them their happyness just because some people dont agree, or think they don't look as 'pretty' as they do in winter

Fruit Platter mama! Senior Dog Member+ Savage Destiny's Avatar
    What? It's not cruel to remove them of their hair... You even said they were happier when they were clipped. Some people just can't get past looks. :|

I also can't believe that groomer wanted $400!
    Do what is best for your animal, not what is best for yourself.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would not shave a dog down, especially in the summer, since the coat protects the skin from sunburn, and many coat types (like in sheep) keep the animal cool in the summer.

The Great Pyrenees dog requires standard care for coat, eyes, ears, pads and nails. Pyrs should receive a good brushing at least once a week. Nails, including those on the double dewclaws, should be routinely trimmed. A professional grooming is recommended once every three to four months. A Great Pyrenees should not be shaved, unless a medical reason exists for doing so. The skin underneath their coat is pink and extremely susceptible to sun-burn and lesions (when the protective coat is missing).
    The most important thing is to never shave a Pyr. Their skin is very fair and can easily burn. They can get clipped to help eliminate mats, if necessary.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't say for Pyrs, but I know for Poms, once you shave them, the hair does not grow back the same. The undercoat is never as strong.

And, Cali is white so she has the really pink skin, like what was just mentioned. I would worry about her burning, especially if she lived outside.
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

edit: oops two new replys while I was typing

savage_destiny- about the groomer, yeah I think she just didn't want to do it, or maybe she just know no-one else will and was trying to take advantage, I did some research later and found out groomers in other areas only charge around $75-$100 for great pyrenees, it's still a lot but a big difference when you consider theres two! shame we can't load them up in the truck.

moo- well they didn't get burned last year but I can see why there might be problems

I'm still not sure though, I mean I don't want them to drop in weight again, thats not too good for them either

if sunburn is the main worry then maybe we hsould go for a longer cut? or trim them now so their fur has time to grow back a bit before the summer sun?

DuckDodgers Senior Dog Member+ Rusty-Buck's Avatar
    I would say shave some of the hair off, enough for the dogs to be a little cooler, but don't shave them down to the skin so they don't get skin problems like sunburn. I really don't know about the Great Pyrenese's coat enough to say anything, but our neighbors have one and they shaved most of it off, but left about an inch all over him. But I wouldnt shave them completely bald.
    No vestige of a beginning, no hint at an end

Blog Entries
    I have a friend who lives in Houston and had 2 pyrs that lived outside. She finally told me that she realized that long or short hair, it was just too hot to have these dogs living outside in Texas heat.

They were lethargic and ate poorly. They are now living happily indoors with her brother in Illinois. I'm not suggesting you get rid of your dog by any means. It's just that it's going to be challenge with that breed in the Texas heat living outdoors.

debbie_carponi- well last year was the first year we really had a problem, I think it's partly to do with their age, they're about 9 I think and I've been told the expected lifespan is between 10-12

they're still playfull and healthy and I'm pretty sure they arent going to keel over just yet but I want to make sure they stay happy and comfortable so we get to have them with us as long as possible

DuckDodgers Senior Dog Member+ Rusty-Buck's Avatar
    Another thing you can do to keep them cool is to put out a kiddie pool that they may want to swim in or hose them down when it gets really hot.
    No vestige of a beginning, no hint at an end

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Buck
    Another thing you can do to keep them cool is to put out a kiddie pool that they may want to swim in or hose them down when it gets really hot.
    That's what my girlfriend did - hosed them down when it got really, really hot - which is all summer in Houston! I stayed with her for a week. Thought I was gonna die! The humidity!!!!!

However, their hair once wet would mat like you wouldn't believe. She'd say it's like taking a thousand wet cotton balls and then pouring a jar of whipped creme (like you use for making fudge) on it and then try combing it out.

These dogs weren't meant for her - can you tell?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast