Thread: Breeding goats...easy right!!!

Breeding goats...easy right!!!

By now I know how to give injections, but getting MILK....that's another story...
    It's one thing not to know how to milk a goat, but it's another thing altogether when the goat hasn't had a kid yet.
    So we need a boyfriend....(pre AIing days)...dad's best mate has a male goat, he's gonna lend it to us...yippee!!! all we have to do is go pick him up...this should be easy, right! our problems are solved!! umm...
    Billy is big, I mean BIG, he's got horns on him either side of his head twice the length of his body...he stinks, reeks, of urine...we have miles to travel...he's a pretty resistant fella, but we get him on the trailer...we travel home, none of us willing to comment on the nice odour in the car...(ever smelt an unwashed ferret..double it).
    Billy's got this collar and chain..extra heavy duty...we get him off the trailer and tie him to an old car wreck, go inside for a well earned cuppa....ahhh.
    Billy gets mad, reallly mad, he smashes the car to bits with his horns..we go outside in disbelief....
    Now the fun starts, we gotta move Billy, put him in the paddock..chain attached...dad says to me and my younger brother, you two go out front and distract him and I'll unhook the chain and move him. Yeh!! right!!!
    Me and Chris....hands waving in the air frantically, "here Billy", Billy's stamping his front feet, snorting, horns waving, me and chris are just about (you know what) ourselves....We are all still alive.
    Last edited by erdog3; 08-05-2004 at 01:18 PM.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, did it work that first time or did Billy have to come to visit. CAR??? Dad never heard of a trailer or truck.

You poor kids - you must have smelled like goat for a week. Hope school was out.

unbelievable some of the stuff we had to do, but we were always laughing.
    The car was an old wreck on the property, just a temp. place to put goat, while we had a cuppa, we didn't expect him to go that beserk, more to the worry though, was if he did that to a car wreck, what was he gonna do to us....silly idiots in front egging him on.

Senior Dog Member
    That's funny.....Poor you & your brother....So did Billy work the first time or did he have to come back?

Billy had 3 laidies to look after, he stayed with us for 6 months, my brother and I were always the distraction come moving time, we always s h i t ourselves, dad always assured us he wasn't gonna let go the chain....
    The girls all ended up with kids, but then we moved onto cows...