Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with my dog - BAD COUGH

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Whats wrong with my dog - BAD COUGH

Its been about 5 days since my dog has come up with a really bad cough, mostly when she is moving around. This cough just came out of no where one day and isn't showing signs of stopping.

This cough tends to be dry and hacking, very very persistent - coughs like every 2 minutes.

She doesnt seem to be in any pain, but coughing this often cant be healthy.

I read on the internet that coughing can be a sign of Kennel cough or heart worm, obviously id take a hit from the kennel cough. But she is a inside dog(dalmation), and doesnt have to much access to sick animals. and heartworm coughs tend to be wet and garggley.

Any ideas of how to better identify what is wrong with my dog.

Thank You.

Back for GOOD! Senior Dog Member+ goldensammy's Avatar
    Has she come in contact with other dogs? Maybe on walks, or an obedience class?

Sharon
    & Sammy

". . . So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt - because every sixty seconds you spend upset, is a minute of happiness you'll never get back."

Dobes Rule :) Senior Dog Member+ Luvmyjob's Avatar
    In the land of taxation with wacked out representation!
    How old is your dog? Have you made a Vet. appt.?
    It is easier to find a score of men wise enough to discover the truth than to find one intrepid enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up for it. ~A.A. Hodge

Crazy Photographer Senior Dog Member+ Midlifeloki's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    sounds like kennel cough to me. Take your dog to the vet. The sooner they better even if it is not kennel cough still get it checked out just in case!

Dobes Rule :) Senior Dog Member+ Luvmyjob's Avatar
    In the land of taxation with wacked out representation!
    Well the cough could also be a sign of fluid around the heart, this can cause a dry, hacking cough with physical exertion.
    It is easier to find a score of men wise enough to discover the truth than to find one intrepid enough, in the face of opposition, to stand up for it. ~A.A. Hodge

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    You need to take your dog to the vet right away. This could be very serious and could cost your dog their life. If it is heartworm, lung cancer or fluid around the heart your dog is in serious condition.

It also could be something as simple as something caught in the dogs throat but only the vet can tell you.

Let us know how your dog does and good luck.
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

It's probably a beginning or mid kennel cough. Please bring your doggie to the vet because Elle developed kennel cough as a puppy.. which advanced into bronchitus.. and then into pnemonia. If you act quickly now, it may help you later.
    It's a Elle Belly!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Physical excretions

Yes, she was throwing up the first day she had the cough now she just occasionally throws up clear fluid. I think this clear fluid is secreted everytime she coughs, she just swallows it.

She is about 8 years old, Im not for sure we found her.

There is another dog that lives behind us. she walks along the fence when she goes out, i dont know if that counts as contact.

How much would be an estimate for a vet visit for something like this? Im just asking because im employeed parttime, and a college student fulltime.

Full Member Full Dog Member LuvLabs's Avatar

Prices

A price quote from our vet which tends to run cheaper than vets in the city.

Our vet would prolly start with:
    - Exam $28.00
    _Cough Tabs & Antibiotics $20.00
    - X-ray to see if the heart is enlarged $45.00 (he or she may wait to see if it clears up with meds before taking xrays)
    This is just a rough estimate and I am not a vet so its all just an educated guess. Hopefully she wont need bloodwork. I hope she gets better whatever it is. Good Luck and def. call your vet.

I don't want to alarm you , but the same thing happened to my Lab a few weeks ago who is 10 years old. He started coughing, just a little bit. Then it got more often and I took him to the vet. He thought it was just an infection, and did a chest x-ray to check for pneumonia. Unfortunately, it showed that one of his lungs is full of cancer. This is supposed to be pretty rare, and it was the last thing I would ever think of. They did a biopsy to check and it was positive. If I had $5000, the dr. said they could remove the lung and give him a little more time, maybe. But besides the coughing up the phlem, he still likes to play, etc. I decided to let him live out his life as normal as possible-I couldn't put him through the pain of having his chest opened up. I pray that your dog doesn't have this, but please take him to the vet as soon as possible-sometimes if you catch things early, there are more options. My prayers are with you and your dog. Please let me know how he is doing. Kathy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast