Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey....

Hey....

Hi, sorry I've been gone For this past week. I'm so busy with my new FERRET lilo. My mom loves her and my dads ok with her. Ceader shavings took care of all the smells.Sorry just enough time for one post,bye!
    Last edited by dog freak; 08-08-2004 at 10:54 AM.
    If dogs WERE NOT here who would we laugh at??

Echo Senior Dog Member+ southern_girl09's Avatar
    Hope you and Lilo have fun together!

Just to tell you, cedar is REALLY bad for her respiration. It will most probably cause problems, and possible kill her in the long run. Use aspen shavings.
    Elite, Molly, and Daisy
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" --Dave Barry

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I always used Cedar for my hamsters, guinea pigs, hedgehogs. Most pet places sell cedar shavings that are dust free and treated for the disease-causing enzyme.

♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Senior Dog Member
    We use cedar shavings for our ferret & it doesn't bother her.
    You really shouldn't use cedar shavings for your Guinea pigs,that is poisonus to them & it WILL kill them!!!!

Blog Entries
    Mmmm... no. I had 4 guinea pigs that lived in pine/cedar combo bedding, and none of them were affected.

Senior Dog Member
    I also had a Guinea pig who lived in the combo bedding & she died from it!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    There's the big pine/cedar debate, and through experience, I'm going to side on the fact, that as long as it's treated it's fine. None of my animals C.O.D.s were a result of bedding type.

I've kept rodents who died from cedar and pine bedding, as well. I know ferrets aren't rodents, but it still can't be good for them.

And it isn't just the dust. They ADD stuff to it. That's why it smells good. But that stuff hurts the animals. Aspen is chemical-free, which makes it great. Most places also sell aspen shavings. It's not worth the risk, IMO, especially after I've seen animals die from it.

A ferret may be able to take the chemicals better than other small animals, I guess. Still would never use it myself, though. I'm going to see if I can find a page on it...This may be a rat page, and I didn't feel like reading through it all the way, but it looks good enough.
    http://www.ratfanclub.org/litters.html
    Elite, Molly, and Daisy
    "You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'My God, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'" --Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    There is alot of debate about it. Pages supporting it, pages dismissing it...

I've kept 2 hamsters, 1 hedgehog, 2 rabbits and 4 guinea pigs... and none were ever affected by the type of bedding we used (it was always pine/cedar combo). Treated for HME... Scented beddings? Mmm... don't think I ever used any that smelled special. Just wood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast