Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant Puppy (10-12 months old)

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Exclamation

My German shephard puppy went into heat and got "hit" by my chow/rott. mix. My entire family is excited at the prospect of puppies.

The only thing is, this will be Dixie's first litter and it will be first time watching/helping a dog deliver.

I believe I know as much as I need to know about the birthing process but I'm still a little anxious. What if something goes wrong?

So, I'm here asking you guys if you have any hints or tips you can give me. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

most dogs do just fine and dont need help.When shes having her pups dont crowd around her it could make her (anxius?)

How old is she and how far along?

Senior Dog Member

aargh yikes - get her aborted, no b i t c h should have puppies under 18 months of age, it could do permenant damage cos she's not done growing herself yet. Of course of she's through her first trimester you're a bit stuck with them but i would suggest such a young mother gives birth under the close supervision of a veterinary surgeon for the whole process.
    Also - do the responsible thing and get your dogs neutered. There are enough unwanted dogs in the world already without accidents like this happenning because people "cant be bothered with" or "dont like the idea of" getting their dogs fixed. It really does save A LOT of health problems, behavioural problems and of course unplanned puppies.
    Lou

[ November 28, 2003, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: lou3 ]
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Oh wow, didn't see the age. My firmest advice is an abortion. You can do serious damage to the dog, and the puppies stand a very high risk of being born with numerous birth defects. Also curious as to why you didn't have the dog neutered and her spayed.

If you do not get her aborted for some reason, you need to take her in for very frequent vet checks and the pups must be born under vet supervision. Also face the possibility that you might lose your dog and some of the puppies might have to be put down.

Senior Dog Member

I hope that after this you will get your dogs spayed and neutered. There are WAY too many unwanted dogs out there.

Full Member Full Dog Member

That is a very very young age. Female dogs should be having babies until they are around 1 1/2- 2 yrs old. For your dog's saftey and the puppies saftey, i would say.....abortion...
    *aSh*<br /><br />"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies." -Gene Hill

I'd rather not abort the puppies but...seeing as how serious the situation is....

Thanks for the help, guys.

Senior Dog Member

You said your entire family is looking forward to puppies - if you have kids (or even adults) - think how hard it will be to see a puppy suffer if it is born sick. That's not to say they couldn't be healthy - but I know I wouldn't want my kids to get attached - and then explain to them the puppy died.

Senior Dog Member

bump for someone else with similar problems.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast