Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: dog menstrual cycle

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Angry

I have a one year ols lab that just started her menstrual cycle (bleeding anyway). How long does this last?? She is making a mess!!!!!

I know there ar eproducts out there, but this has been going on for two days now, and was wondering what the cycle was, how often, etc...

Thanks for your suggestions/help!
    Sondra

Why don't you get her spayed?

Full Member Full Dog Member

I agree with Dawn regarding having her spayed. Years ago we had a female when the general thought of the vets in that area felt you should let them go through one cycle before spaying. Thank goodness they have changed that theory! It was a mess, and bless her heart she tried to be so fastidious but we eventually put a "diaper" on her... she did look cute, but it was a hassle. As soon as we got the go ahead from the vet she was spayed. Freckles was spayed at 7 months.

[ November 28, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Freckles ]
    Lou in Texas

Yes, letting your dog go through even just one cycle greatly increases the chances of certain types of cancer.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Angry

Thanks for the thoughts, and I agree (wanted to get her through the first cycle before fixing) but, can you comment on the cycle/length?

Exclamation

Hi Sondra,

Your dog's cycle will last about 3 weeks. She is going to need a pair of doggie panties. You can get ones that have specific pads that fit in them & there are some that you use lady's pantyliners with. I suggest you watch her closely to make sure the "neighborhood sneak" doesn't get to her! Most vets won't spay while she is in heat, so you'll have to ride this one out.

Why did you want to wait till she cycled?

I would say 2-3 weeks. I would wait at least 2 weeks after her cycle to get her spayed.
    *aSh*<br /><br />"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies." -Gene Hill

Senior Dog Member

dogs have a ten day - pro-oestrus that lasts ten days, there is then another 10 days in which they are receptive to a male and then they are still "in season" for another 5 - 6 days. Dont get her spayed until at east two weeks after the end of the cycle to allow her hormones to settle down again. bear in mind she could well go through a psuedopregnancy which may leave her "in milk" for a while, she cannot be spayed when she is in milk.
    Her next season will be in about 6-9 months.
    I agree with everyone here, get your dogs spayed as soon as the vet says they are old enough to cope with the aneasthetic. Letting your dog go through even one cycle greatly increases the risk of contracting pyometria and of mammary cancer when they are older.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Senior Dog Member

I'm so happy I have boys!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast