Thread: Gatorade for dogs?

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar

Gatorade for dogs?

I used to buy a powder mix you would put in dogs water to replace electorlytes, and I can't find it any more! Someone at my agility class said just use Gatorade/Powerade. Is this safe? Does it work effectivley?
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

DuckDodgers Senior Dog Member+ Rusty-Buck's Avatar
    I heard some girl at my school talking today and she said that her vet told her that her dog needed to drink gatorade instead of water. I didn't hear the whole conversation but I think it would be ok for him.
    No vestige of a beginning, no hint at an end

If a dog has been worked hard, run alot or done a ton of stuff in the heat, some Gatorade or Pedealite for children flavored is ok along with water. It does help bring up the electrolites also. Same as in babies, puppies and people. You do not replace water however, just give a small bowel full for the day beside the water.

I give my Horse Gatorade when we are at Competitions. Mix the Powder into his water or give it to him straight from the bottle. It is electrolytes and will not hurt the animal.

Beauceron Bliss Senior Dog Member+ rottiegirl's Avatar
    Ok, thanks guys! When Haunter does agility/schutzhund competitions/practices he wears himself out.
    Nothing says "Oops!" like a wall of flame.

Pom Mom Senior Dog Member+ Deb's Tiny Dogs's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gatorade is extremely high in sodium which is not good for dogs. Does anyone think this could be a problem?
    Forever my boys, Bogey and Miko. All my love till we meet again.

Quote Originally Posted by debbie caponi
    Gatorade is extremely high in sodium which is not good for dogs. Does anyone think this could be a problem?
    I think thats the point right? I know with horses you can feed salt in thier feeds to give them electorlytes to re hydrate.

DuckDodgers Senior Dog Member+ Rusty-Buck's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GermanShepherds
    I give my Horse Gatorade when we are at Competitions. Mix the Powder into his water or give it to him straight from the bottle. It is electrolytes and will not hurt the animal.
    Yup I have also found that horses love Gatorade!
    No vestige of a beginning, no hint at an end

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gatorade for dogs, like in people, needs to be taken in moderation. In people, you should only drink as much gatorade as you sweat out. Gatorade/Powerade was meant to replenish whatever you lost through sweat, and essentially, that is what it is- flavoured, re-made sweat. If you drink too much of it, you are taking in too much sodium, and actually dehydrating your body. The same applies to dogs, you off set the equilibrium of their blood if they have too much sodium.

Since dogs only have sweat glands in their paws, they do not sweat much, and gatorade is not necessary for dogs leading high activity lives. In fact, if the dog drools a lot when hot, you can actually be doing negative work, because the dog's body salt concentration is already high due to water loss, and bringing gatorade into the equation can make the dog's condition worse. However, for dogs who are not eating/are vomitting up all the nutrients they take in, the electrolytes in gatorade/pedialyte, can be benificial.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪