Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maltese puppy cut

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Smile Maltese puppy cut

Hi. I'm looking for help in describing a puppy cut for a maltese. Can someone describe to me the steps and/or look of the puppy cut? This is my first paying job and I'm unsure of the look this should be. Can someone help me with this, please?
    Thank you in advance.
    piper

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Red face

This is a maltese puppy pic found on google. Short hair, I'd say cut to about 1 inch, and the airs cut down almost to wear the ears really end. The facial hair will need to be cut so that you can see the eyes.

This is my dog after getting a puppy cut. I can't say I liked it, but it's the puppy job.

He's not a maltese, his face is fuller than a maltese, but the hair grows at a similar rate. The job would be easier on a Maltese though, because it's a little more coarse than my dog. The hair on the forhead is cut quite short, and the hair between the eyes is shaved. Fur on paws shaved with the rest of the body.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Talking thank you

I want to thank you for your help on the Maltese puppy cut. I did the puppy and, in fact, I did two of them. If it wasn't for your help, I'd be a reck since this was my first paying customer. The "parents" seemed very happy with the jobs and I felt great with the results. Not a perfect job since I always see my mistakes, but I hope it gets better and better each time. Thanks again. This forum and the people in it are wonderful.

I was a groomer for quite a few years, as you have already done your cuts, and I assume the customers seem happy, just a couple of tips.

Basically the first cut is rarely more than a trim up of the face, the paws, round the rear end, and under the belly.
    You should never take any from anywhere else, all it takes is for a cold night and the puppy will surely get a chill, they don't have the undercoat of an older dog, you have to wait for the first moult, in Maltese this is the first sign of undercoat coming under the top coat, it doesn't fall out as such, but bunches up and becomes matty. As a pup, with the puppy coat, this is a very fine, soft, matt free coat, if it is like this never cut it off.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I have been off line for a few days.
    If you need any more grooming tips, I have clipped Maltese dogs for 10 or so years, it is easy once you get the hang of it, just don't take it back too close to the skin whatever you do, it makes the matting worse, and their pale pigmentation susecptable to sunburn, you need at least a quarter inch of fur or more left.

IN winter I used to do a half clip, that was, I would trim the legs, feet and under the belly, back with a number 10, blend in the top of the legs and face with a number 8 1/2, round the under part of the eyes with a 10, then scissor trim the body to the 8 1/2. The tail and ears always left, brush it out, but never clip it back, you can just scissor trim them to take of the tacky ends.
    Be very careful in the creases under their legs, it is easy to catch them and cut with the clippers, make sure you hold the legs up fairly high, but comfortably for the dog, that fold of skin that holds the legs is the worst.
    anyway, you can ask more, I am back again.

I ran my own business and had 200 regular dogs.
    YOU WILL LOVE IT, I did, I miss doing dog grooming soooo much.
    Cheers. Ellierat.

The pics shown by Moo: The first pic. This puppy has not been cut back at all, the feet, see how the fur is still there. I would say the pup is only 8-10 weeks old, a great time to get them used to the sound of the clippers. The ears start like that, but have not been clipped, they haven't started to grow down yet.

The second pic. the dog has had the face clipped, but not the body. You can see the ears just starting to grow down, but they have not been clipped either.
    The eye area has been done, looks like 8 1/2 clip.

Do you pluck the ears, something you will have to do too. Ask for help, I can tell you how to do this almost pain free for the dog.
    The nails too.
    I never bothered with fancy poodle clips, but just the plain...My dog is matted clip, yep, heaps. and you will get that, people will want you to perform miracles, their dogs will be matted to their skin, and they will expect you to clip them and still leave some fur....grrrr... like yep, if you had brought your dog in 3 months ago maybe.....but now, sorry, but can't you see.
    I have made owners stay, I mean stay, and look at what the clippers can do, and what I can do with the mess they have let their dogs get into. I have clipped a dog, and the fur has literally stayed in the shape of the dog. I keep it and show the owners, that way they couldn't come back at me, and fleas, sometimes I have sprayed myself with aeroguard, cause the fleas have hopped onto my arms while I'm clipping...yuk...poor babies. I have washed dogs and the water has been pink from the flea blood and poop.
    Anyway, probably putting you off here, the only good part is you feel satisfaction that you have had the opportunity to clip the poor baby and make it better if at least for a little while.

Blog Entries
    I'm glad it went well.
    I'm a little confused now though, I was had the understanding that you were giving an adult maltese a puppy cut... or were you just trimming a puppy maltese?

The second pic is my dog... they did clip the body, you just can't tell from the photo. It was his summer cut, went from 4 inches, trimmed him down to one.

Sorry Moo, it is hard to see, he is laying down, but they did not trim the paws or ears very much, I always took from underneath the ears and just trimmed up the bottom with scissors, rather than taking off the top, it thins them without making it obvious.
    A lot of people are very fussy with Malts and poodles, shitzu etc. you have to clip without taking away the expression on the face, and the tail of course.
    Have you ever seen a malt clipped down on the tail and ears, it looks really funny (weird).
    If he had no matts I would not have clipped off the top, I would have brushed it out then blended in the bottom part into the legs and feet, you would find that his feet and legs will get mucked up with the morning dew and any dirt. Plus you have to do between the toes or they get matted together, and also under their arm pits.
    probably rambling here, but it is just from my experience, you will end up taking your pup back within 6-8 weeks to have him clipped again, more money for them, a good clip and grooming should leave you with a dog that looks cute, full of personality still, but doesn't need doing again for 3-6 months.

Blog Entries
    Sorry Ellie, but now I'm genuinely confused. The ears got minimal trim, I asked them to leave the grey... I can't let go of the grey ears lol. The paws were trimmed down. alot. Maybe you can't see it, as he's not standing up, but the paw hair gets very long (which I love, makes his feet look huge ), to the point where it get stepped on all the time. He goes back every 3 and a half months, mainly for the body and eyes, but they also shampoo, blow dry, nails, etc. Sorry, I'm not sure what I'm trying to explain...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moo; 09-03-2004 at 10:07 AM.

It is funny, I guess you get used to the way you clip yourself, and when you don't see it how you normally do it, it looks different, (wrong).
    I see it now, he is almost due for a clip in the latest photo, right.

Question Confused

I am confused by your statement about an undercoat on Maltese. Maltese do not have or ever get an undercoat. If you check the AKC standards it states that the coat is single, that is, no undercoat. If you have been grooming Maltese for so many years, how can you not know that??
    Quote Originally Posted by erdog3 View Post
    I was a groomer for quite a few years, as you have already done your cuts, and I assume the customers seem happy, just a couple of tips.

Basically the first cut is rarely more than a trim up of the face, the paws, round the rear end, and under the belly.
    You should never take any from anywhere else, all it takes is for a cold night and the puppy will surely get a chill, they don't have the undercoat of an older dog, you have to wait for the first moult, in Maltese this is the first sign of undercoat coming under the top coat, it doesn't fall out as such, but bunches up and becomes matty. As a pup, with the puppy coat, this is a very fine, soft, matt free coat, if it is like this never cut it off.

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I have been off line for a few days.
    If you need any more grooming tips, I have clipped Maltese dogs for 10 or so years, it is easy once you get the hang of it, just don't take it back too close to the skin whatever you do, it makes the matting worse, and their pale pigmentation susecptable to sunburn, you need at least a quarter inch of fur or more left.

IN winter I used to do a half clip, that was, I would trim the legs, feet and under the belly, back with a number 10, blend in the top of the legs and face with a number 8 1/2, round the under part of the eyes with a 10, then scissor trim the body to the 8 1/2. The tail and ears always left, brush it out, but never clip it back, you can just scissor trim them to take of the tacky ends.
    Be very careful in the creases under their legs, it is easy to catch them and cut with the clippers, make sure you hold the legs up fairly high, but comfortably for the dog, that fold of skin that holds the legs is the worst.
    anyway, you can ask more, I am back again.

I ran my own business and had 200 regular dogs.
    YOU WILL LOVE IT, I did, I miss doing dog grooming soooo much.
    Cheers. Ellierat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast