Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basset Hound

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Basset Hound

My son recently became the proud owner of a 3 year old Basset Hound. This little dog is a very welcome addition to the family but I have a few questions on grooming him. First off his nails were in terrible shape. I don't want to hurt him so I've been taking off a little each week. I would estimate that he has had about 1/2 inch removed from them in the 3 weeks that we have owned him. I have prepared for accidents ( obtained the blood clotter and cotton swabs ) in case I go to deep. I don't want that to happen as it would hurt him. He has dark nails so it is hard to see where the quick is. His nails are still very long although I must admit now they just look like they are in dire need of a trimming instead of curling into the pads on his feet. Any recommendations out there on making sure I don't hit the quick?
    2nd his weight. He was very over weight when he came to us and had no energy. He has lost weight ( we do a regular play time ) and has more energy now. He is looking better and his tummy no longer drags on the floor. I know that you should be able to feel a couple of ribs but not much more so this fellow is not skinny now as I can't really feel any ribs. I don't want him loosing weight to quickly either. I think he is at a good weight though as he has a shape now. I've kept him on his regular food and he seems very happy. My question.. does anyone have a picture of what this breed looks like at ideal body weight?
    His Name is Spencer.... I affectionately call him "Master Spencer".

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Go to www.akc.org and go to breeds to see a video of champion bassets.
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/basset.mpg
    Nice name..

For the nails, look at them from the side. If there is an area that is distinctly narrower than it is up closer to the paw, then it is safe to cut there. Also, look at them from the end. When you get close to the quick a spot will appear in the middle of the nail that is really dark and has a different texture to it, less grainy kinda. In some dark nails, you can shine a flashlight or pin light through it to get a general idea of where the nail is before you cut.

Oh yeah, and thank you for taking care of your dogs nails. One of my pet peaves is owners who let them grow painfully long.

Thank you for your help. Nails is a pet peeve of mine..hence I'm trying to correct a problem. I'm used to dogs who have the nails taken care of in a regular manner. I'm not used to overgrown nails. One more thing.. this little guy has an issue with skin rash. Where he has wrinkles. We gave him a bath and used a dog PH balanced shampoo but he still has skin a little redder than I would like on his body where the wrinkles are and a little pinker on his tummy. He really is a doll and I just want to provide the care he needs.

You could try putting baby powder on him after a bath where he has wrinkles and on his tummy.

I will try that. Thank you. He really is such a nice dog and I just want to make sure I do what's best for him. Since we have gotten him we have managed to take his weight under control, we are working on his nails and have cleared up an eye infection.. I think we are on the right track )

Sounds like you are doing a great job, bassets can sometimes be hard to take care of.

BTW, welcome to the forum

I just love the little fellow, but I'm most experienced with Alaskan Malamutes. I've had several of them over the years.. I currently have my daughters border collie mix 3/4 boarder collie, 1/4 everything else. The little basset (first time with one and need help). Love dogs, horses and cats.. animals.. the world would be a sad place without them.

Trimming the nails is easier when they have been wet, try this after a bath, lay him on his back, lift the paw up and look underneath the nail, you will see that the tip and part way down is hollow, then it stops and becomes full. You can cut to about 3mm of the thick part, no more. the thick part is where the quick is.
    Or, use fine sandpaper, nails must be hard for this, and sand back on each nail, just like we do to ours with a nail file, there again only to within 3 mm of the thick part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast