Thread: my dog had a stroke help me!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Unhappy

i think my 11yr 10month old dog has had a stroke. he can't move his front legs because they r stretched and stiff i went to a vet and they suggested putting him down because he is too old to regain use of his legs can anyone help me or give some advise before i decide on putting him down. i don't want him to be in pain. he is always howling but the vet told me it's not because he's in pain but because he is frustrated bcos he can't get up pls help
    if u want to contact me personally send email to
    Smoke462002@yahoo.com

thanks

That's horrible! I'm sorry for you and your poor doggy. I don't know what to say, it's so sad. But if he won't ever be able to use his legs, then his quality of life will be pretty horrible. I'm sorry you have to make a decision like that, it's awful!

Unhappy

i know tell me about it it's the worst thing ever!!

Full Member Full Dog Member

I am very sorry for your pain and especially your dog's pain... physical and emotional.
    I wonder if this is the first of other strokes to come. It is a gut wrenching decision for you to make I can only offer to you what I would think if it were my pup. I feel that the quality of life and pain issue are most important. I am my dog's advocate and most likely would not let him live with the fear and daily struggles of paralysis. That is not to say that any and all animals that don't have total use of their limbs should be put to sleep.
    Keep in mind that a stroke involves much more than non-functional legs. There are brain and age issues here as well.

Unhappy

I am really sorry 4 you! I would cry my eyes out if i had to put down my dog, buffy. She is the sweetest pet i have eva had. My hamster died a little while back, and so i kinda know how ya feel. You must remember, that your dog is old, and would probually die any way sum time soon. You want do what is best 4 ur dog. Maybe you can do therapy for your dog's leg. Can you do that? I am not sure but as i said, i am really sry. i will keep you in my prayers.
    Do what is best for your dog, but you don't need to abuse him.
    Ashley

It is a hard decision, my brothers poodle who was 16 had to be put down a couple of months ago, his shoulders kept slipping out and we had to manually put them back in, but his yelps of pain oooh, it must of hurt, we looked after him with this for 6 months, but it got worse every day, so that he would have it happen every 5 or so minutes, my brother did'nt want to put him down but we had no choice, have you got someone there who could go with you to do it.
    I held timmy(poodle) and told him he would'nt have to be in pain any longer, it hurt, i cried, but he was in so much pain. "tears even thinking about it"

I think you did the right thing. I am sorry for your pain and loss. Lots of hugs sent to you.

[ February 19, 2004, 05:43 AM: Message edited by: Karen ]

Unhappy

hi thanks for the help i just wanted to let u guys know that i finally put him down, the vet had little hope that he would get use of his legs because of his age. although he wasn't in pain phyically he was psycologically becase he couldn't get up, and he was an active dog so i came to the decision to put him down. another interesting fact is that he had to take 4 needles to put him down bcos the first, second or third didn't work, his heart was still beating. he took 2 in the leg and 2 in the heart to do it. it usually only takes one to the leg and the vet told me it was a very strong dog.
    anyway thenks for ur advise, help and opinions
    thanks alot

That would have been really hard for you, having that many needles to do it. I feel for you, I'm sure your poor dog is up in doggy heaven now having a wow of a time with our timmy.
    Keep well and try to think of your good times with your best friend. hugs to you.