Thread: Tear Stains

Tear Stains

Does anyone know of any home remedys that will remove tear staining from my doggy i can't find any products for doing this in any of the local stores so if anyone knows of another way....
    "A mutt is couture-the only one like it in the world, and made especially for you."
    -Isaac Mizrahi

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've heard that it you mix corstarch and milk of magnesia to make a paste, and apply it to the stained area, it bleaches the stain out of lighter coloured dogs.

You should find out what is causing the excessive tear stain... Sorry, but I have a little bit of a fix in emphasising that allergies cause stear stain and eye problems, especially in small dogs, more so in small white dogs. Consider diet, and exposure to smoke.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Tear stains can be caused by a lot of other things not just allergies.
    Entropian is the worst, then blocked tear ducts, which can be treated with drops.
    Then eyelashes can get long and stick the wrong way, the fringe can irritate, or just ordinary dust can cause it.
    You really need a vet to rule out any physical problems before treating.
    Ordinary talcum powder mixed to a paste and left on for a while helps too.

Full Member Full Dog Member
    Tearstains on light colored dogs are often caused by dyes in the food they are eating. We changed our dogs to a brand with no dyes in it and Frosty's (white standard poodle) eyes stopped tearing and staining as much as they did.
    Lady~ You're my Doodle-Bug...I love ya tons!!

Frosty~ You're my Doofus...nobody can replace ya!

Some people give their dogs filtered water that has no minerals in it. They say it helps with the staining. The tears don't leave the color of the minerals on the fur,

The watering of her eyes has stopped but now she just has the stains. do they products you can get at the pet store work has anyone tried them i would have to go out of town to get them since i live in a pretty small town the closet thing we have to a pet store is walmart lol.
    "A mutt is couture-the only one like it in the world, and made especially for you."
    -Isaac Mizrahi

Prevention is the best way to go, IMO. Something that I find works quite well if it is a tear duct problem, is to put your fingers right near the corners of the eyes, over the muzzle, and massage for about 5 minutes twice a day. It sounds strange, but my vet suggested it for Ripley and it REALLY helped, it helped loosen and open up the 'drain' for the tears, and he hardly ever had any watery eyes after that. I'm not sure if that is bogus or if it really is what happens, but it helped MY dog, anyways.

For the already existing tear stains, I used everything, and I actually found that just regular washing with a gentle tear-free shampoo was the best way to go. I used a product I got from his breeder, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it worked well too.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    hi, this is dede. i am a new member and have a question. anybody know about westies?