Thread: Stressed and Not eating

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar

Until September I had three dogs. One horrible night I lost two that were hit by a car. Moby, my oldest, that was killed was six weeks older than Greta, my female. They grew up together and had never been apart. Carbon was Moby's son and only 10 months old at the time he was killed. So Greta lost her life partner and her best friend. Knowing that she would never make it being alone, we got another puppy. They get along great, she has been a wonderful "mother". But Greta still seems unhappy and stressed. The worst part is she is not eating. I am very concerned about her health, since she has had numerous problems in the past. She is a difficult keeper as far a keeping weight on her.
    She looks horrible right now. Anywawys, I was just wondering if there is anything that someone would recommend to help her be more happy? I do not want to put her on any prescription meds. Some people have suggested herbals. Has anyone ever used these and do they work?
    She has even turned her nose to canned food. That really surprised me.
    The vet said to give her time, she'll feel better. But she is so skinny. Any advice would be wonderful
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Senior Dog Member

Tripe - i have never met a dog yet that can refuse it. You can buy it from most pet supply stores.
    You could also try herbal conditioning tablets, some of them do work quite well - if not for putting weight on at least for making the dog look healthier so people in the street are less likely to give you funny looks.
    I know how you feel on that one, Jodie my pointer is a hard keeper and we have real trouble keeping her weight up after a litter, no matter what we do.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Also feeding them garlic (in their food usually) will increase their appetite.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Freeze Dried Liver Treats. They sell them at PetSmart. Dogs go crazy for them!

Full Member Full Dog Member

I'm sorry about your dogs. I've seen dogs go through mourning periods when they lose their yardmates (?), and it's really sad.

When we have dogs that are sick or having bad health issues, we make up food for them. We boil ground turkey and carrots and celery, and mix that with brown rice and flax seed oil. We use about a pound of turkey at a time, and one batch of brown rice. That makes enough for about a week or so, depending on how much you feed. You might try using that as a top dressing on the food, too.

Goodluck!