Thread: Can someone tell me about blocked tear ducts ?

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.

Unhappy Can someone tell me about blocked tear ducts ?

I think Rudy may have this issue. Can someone inform me about this ? What to do about it ???

I have had the vet check him and I was told it was an infection and to use drops , which I did however he still has one eye that is runny and gooping up.

I think the vet was mistaken and it is a bigger issue then an infection.
    In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What about allergy?

Protector of Dobes Senior Dog Member+ Dobified's Avatar
    On the frozen Tundra in an igloo with a polar bear named whitey.
    Could be, but I don't think so. It has been going on for a long time. I have had both my vets look at him.... one said it was because if his breed .. um yeah ok, he said it is the Dobermans long nose and it pulls on thier eyes ( HUH ????? ) Never heard that one before. He is ok but a bit of a quack at times. SOOOOO I took him to my other vet they one I really like. That vet said it was an infection and to use drops for two weeks which I did and the yellow goop is gone but he is still tearing and getting alot of clear goop now.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

If it's clear tearing allergy sounds like a possability. I used to have to wipe my Boxer's eyes every morning with a warm cloth to clear out clear goopy stuff.
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

Got Sheltie? Senior Dog Member+ weezyNollie's Avatar
    Call the vet and tell them that the prescription isn't helping. Tell them to recheck the eye.

We've had cases that we're hoped to be fixed by antibiotic/steroids, and it was blocked tear duct. There is a minimally invasive, and minimally required sedation, type of procedure that can be done. Basically you flush the ducts and encourage normal flow of tears.
    The Herding Herd.
    Brooke, Weezy, Ollie, and Ralphie

www.coloradoanimalrescue.org

Worriaholic Senior Dog Member+ BabyElephant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sounds similar to Poppy - she had green gloop which turned out to be conjunctivitis which was treated, the green gloop cleared but this then turned to daily gloop. The vet said she could have dry eye caused by where she sleeps and gave me some ordinary eye lubricant for her (same as what humans use). I never used it and that's when I thought it was an allergy and changed her whole diet.

You might want to look up dry eye and see if Rudy's symptoms match that?
    Quote Originally Posted by micki View Post
    Lipsticks are lost everyday but love is forever

Good idea, BabyE. I was thinking that if the yellow had gone then the infection was gone. Artificial tears or lube should help.
    HASTA LA VIZSLA, BABY!!
    Dash Jan 28/05-Oct 08/10

I would call the vet and have him check the tear ducts. It's simple enough to do. they put fluorescent dye in the eyes, turn off lights and look in eyes with flashlight, it tells them right away if the tear ducts are plugged, my son had a pom with blocked tear ducts, the vet advised against any action because the operation had to be done in a vet school and wasn't warranted. We just wiped the eyes wih a saline solution every morning, operation was costly and not very successful at times. Sounds more like conjunctivitis, have you checked the third eyelid? You have to be careful with the eyes, lots of things you just don't put in because of blindness as side effect. Better to get a vet's opinion and diagnosis.

Banned (temp) Senior Dog Member
    No Dobified, I don't believe that dobes are prone to blocked tear ducts, this tends to be more of a problem with toy breeds esp. the maltese and with this you will usually find that the area under the eyes is forever moist with a clear liquid which in turn tends to stain white coats. My dobe seems to have the same problem with a creamish discharge and I have applied an ointment to no avail so I will be seeing the vet again, his eye doesn't look like it has conjunctivitis at all. For blocked tear ducts it's a simple procedure that a vet carries out, a greenish liquid is applied to the eyes and if it comes running down the nose then the ducts are not considered blocked, you could ask the vet to do this to put your own mind at rest but I don't believe this to be the case; as the eyes are otherwise dry and don't tend to be watery in my dobe then I am excluding blocked tear ducts. Dry eye doesn't seem to be the case either imo cause you will find that eyes that have no tears tend to suffer in the short term as eyes need to be kept constantly moist but once again I stress that this is just my opinion.