Thread: Expiration Date on Dog Food

Expiration Date on Dog Food

I was wondering, is the expiration date on dry dog food important? I mean if I was to feed food that expried a week ago, will it be bad?

I noticed lately that if I buy a new bag of dog food Koni will eat all of his food. However, over time he does not eat it as much after I open it. Could the expiration date lose flavor to the food? I still have a lot of food left and I think it expires in a few days.
    The love of a dog is all I need, the love of a dog is always free.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would not worry too much about it. When you go to buy dog food, I would check to make sure it has not been sitting on the shelf for years.

Do you store your dog food in a sealed container or just the bag? You may want to put in a tupperware tub that has a seal to help keep it. It might be losing some of it's smell and therefore it's appeal to Koni.

I keep the bag sealed in a tupperwar tub. Guess I have a picky eater.
    The love of a dog is all I need, the love of a dog is always free.

Dobermonster Mom Senior Dog Member+ dobermom's Avatar
    I wouldn't worry too much about the date, especially a week.

I know alot of rescues feed out of date food, sometimes bu 12 months and everything has been fine.

I would be careful at 12 months, but wouldn't even second guess a week.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OPT TO ADOPT

All dog foods have a shelf life of 1 yr when you buy it. After it's opened, it probably won't keep that long. But unless you have a 50 lb. bag for a chihuahua I don't think you should worry. How long have you had the opened bag? You could store it in one of those big tins Eukaneuba used to give out, but the plastic bins are fine if you leave it in the bag.

The expiration date that seems on packaged food is complicated to many people, largely as a result of phrases used, such as “Best Before,” “Sell By” or “Use By.” Is food still safe to eat on that date, or somewhat after that date? Let's consider saving money by understanding what that expiration date indicates.

LoveMyPetsMoreThanMe Senior Dog Member+ TheDogWhisperer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by avmath View Post
    The expiration date that seems on packaged food is complicated to many people, largely as a result of phrases used, such as “Best Before,” “Sell By” or “Use By.” Is food still safe to eat on that date, or somewhat after that date? Let's consider saving money by understanding what that expiration date indicates.
    As seen in the top right corner of the latest post, this thread is very old. I'm sure the OP has figured out the problem by now.

Welcome to ProDog!
    A thousand "hellos" make up for the one "goodbye."