Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I neuter

Full Member Full Dog Member

Ok, my lil guy is far from being old enough to neuter but I'm planning ahead. I have never had an animal that I didn't get spayed or neutered. The problem is my finace does not want to neuter our pit, he says if he wanted a girl he would have bought one, typical guy i guess. But will this cause problems if he's not neutered?? We have a fenced in yard thats pretty secure so I dont see him getting out, so im not worried about him getting anybody pregnant, just behavioral issues and marking his territory in the house and also trying to be dominant, i have a 3 yr rottie that is an alpha dog and if he tries to be dominant we will def. have problems.

My thoughts are to get him neutered. That doesn't make him a girl by any means. It will safe you a lot of hassle and will make house breaking much, much easier. It will also help with some of the behavioral issues that all dogs are prone to. It will also lower his risk of cancer because well, if it's not there, it can't develop cancer. Even though you don't forsee him getting out, you never know, it can and does happen.

Senior Dog Member

YES YES YES, always get ANY dog that is not a valuble breeding animal neutered. Its the responsible thing to do as well as the sensible thing. If you already have an alpha dog then an un-neutered male in the house will cause horrendous problems. Not neutering also exposes them to all sorts of health problems and behavioral problems. Also even the most closely watched and securely fenced in dog can and will get out if there is a b.itch in heat anywhere near so dont be complacent about the unwanted pregnancies thing.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Your fiance sounds just like my brother. Macho issues. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I got my old dog neutered when he was 6 months old, and he's been anything but feminine. He's a 50-pound border collie/chow, and he's always been the dominant dog. He's backed down 100-pound rots, our 120-pound newf, and pretty-much any other dog he's been around. He's far, far from aggressive, though, so there's never been a problem with fighting. (I didn't want you to think that he was some kind of fighter or something.)

Our youngest dog is a year-old lab/redbone coonhound, and he's been fixed since he was 6 months old or so. He's all boy, too, even though he's the bottom dog. Neutering doesn't make dogs gay - tell your fiance to get over it.

Good luck! [img]smile.gif[/img]

I wouldn't count on your fence being 100% secure. I had a Golden growing up that got out of every fence or barrier we put up. He had plenty of room in our large yard, so I guess he just did it because he could. If a male smells a female in heat, he'll find a way to get out. I've heard of dogs chewing holes in garages to get to one another. Get him nueterd!

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I def agree with getting him neutered. Both of my *boys* are nuetered. Have no *gay* issues with them, they are still all boy I have actually witnessed a male dog on the inside of his fence, locked together with a female who was outside the fence, it can and does happen. If you are not going to breed him professionaly, get him neutered, IMO, there are way too many dogs out there and not enough responsable people to give them good homes. a good dog is just that, with or without his *furry grapes* (more so without IMO)
    Nothing like a cold nose to wake you in the morning, (except maybe three cold noses)

Physical "attributes" neither a man or a woman make.... works in the world of animals, as well.
    Growing up neuturing was not something common where I was raised.... lots, and lots of stray, sad, unwanted little ones. Ignorance is not always bliss.
    My husband and I had a choc. lab years ago and we were so caught up in moving, job changes, etc. we just didn't think about having Rebel neutered. In later years he developed a severe problem that would have been avoided had he been neutered. Think my husband had a "guy" thing about it at the time, even if he would not admit it. But, after that he was convinced. Funny, though for some reason only "female" strays have come into our life. Think there is a wiser power in control here? (No compunction with having the girls fixed.... hmmmm another guy thing?)
    Lou in Texas

Senior Dog Member

If you have a pit - you definately want to get him nuetered. Pits have a very alpha personality - and they will dominate you, your fiance and your oither dog if they can. I adopted a boxer/pit mix from a humane society when he was three. He was nuetered at 3 - and we had a lot of dominance and aggression issues with him.

If your fiance needs help deciding - tell him to go to the shelter and see all the unwanted pets out there. I thought about saving my Husky Neko - in case we wanted to breed him later on. Then I started looking around at Husky rescue groups - there's so many out there that need homes - I can't bring another dog into this world with so many outhere without homes.

Also - we have a pit/german sheperd mix who is 4. He was nuetered when he was about 6-7 months - and he is all tough guy! Still plays and wrestles and lifts his leg at every single tree, pole, bush - pretty much anything.

(Congrats on getting a pit - they're one of my favorite breeds - and probably one of the least understood. I'm sure he will grow up to be a loving part of your family!)

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Unhappy

neuter-neuter by all means,for dogs health,cancer ect. marking territory.excessive marking,inact males are harder to train (mind is else where)like hubbys. neutered is the smartest and safest.inact males are more likely to roam,run off.wait till a neighbors dog is in heat-you'll be sorry. the howling,aggression,they'll chew through anything to get out.i've had both a neutered male will be healthier and happier

Senior Dog Member
    Please, please neuter your dog! I love dogs but lets be sensible do you want to risk your dog getting out? Not just pups but all dogs can be aggresive when a female is in heat. I have a beautiful English Cocker he is neutered because of health problems and I would be wrong to pass on severe allergies mast cell tumors and Addisons
    Just my opinion
    tigersmom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast