Thread: Regulation in the Grooming Industry

Full Member Full Dog Member

Regulation in the Grooming Industry

In Florida, one does not have to hold a certain state or local license to be a groomer. I believe it is the same elsewhere in the country (correct me if I am wrong.) Unfortunately, some unprofessional groomers have given all groomers a bad name. I hope that one day our industry will be regulated by the state so that all groomers have to abide by code of ethics, etc. Does anyone else have this problem and do you think there should be some kind of regulation for groomers?
    Be yourself, no matter what they say.-Sting

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Until legislation is passed - the best thing is to get recommendations from breeders and dog shows. This will go along way to finding good groomers. I would also look to see if the groomer will give you references for a dog similar to yours. It's just like hiring a contractor - buyer beware is still a good motto.

Word of mouth is an effective tool for finding good groomers. As a groomer, I have seen and heard some horror stories and I have been in the business for less than 5 years! It is my hope that laws are passed sometime in the near future for some type of regulation.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    SGroomer - do you have a school certification? Should dog owners be looking for diplomas/certifications on walls. Do you think the better busines bureaus should have a section for animal groomers/care givers so people can check up on them?

Actually I attended the NY School of Dog Grooming. I don't think diplomas will make a dog owner more at ease, I think they need to feel comfortable leaving their dog in an environment where it won't be hit, left in the dryer too long, etc.
    Most reputable shops in our area do belong to the BBB.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    Quote Originally Posted by southerngroomer
    In Florida, one does not have to hold a certain state or local license to be a groomer. I believe it is the same elsewhere in the country (correct me if I am wrong.) Unfortunately, some unprofessional groomers have given all groomers a bad name. I hope that one day our industry will be regulated by the state so that all groomers have to abide by code of ethics, etc. Does anyone else have this problem and do you think there should be some kind of regulation for groomers?
    oh i definately think so. I work at a shop thats gone thru several groomers in the past 3 years. groomers can definately make or brake a shop.