Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can someone help identify the breed/mix?

Full Member Full Dog Member

Can someone help identify the breed/mix?

This is my first dog, I am not sure how old, and how large it will become, and what breed it is. I am trying to take good care.

Many thanks

http://thumbs.villagephotos.com/index.asp?id_=10043077

http://thumbs.villagephotos.com/index.asp?id_=10043078

http://thumbs.villagephotos.com/index.asp?id_=10043079

Senior Dog Member
    I'm guessing a Poodle or a Coton de Tulear or a Poodle/Coton de Tulear.
    It looks more Poodle to me.

Where did you get it? Is it a Male or Female?

Senior Dog Member
    AlphaMale-Look at the 2 pictures at the bottom,they sort of look like the pictures of your dog http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/cotondetulear.htm
    So I am leaning a LITTLE more toward the Coton de Tulear.

Thanks pittiegurl

The pictures you posted look very close to mine.

It is a male, I got from a pet shop. The person I bought it from said that this will not grow bigger than a cat, but a friend sow it and said that it will grow big. I do not trust the pet shop guiy for a good reason and that is why I want to confirm what he said. He said it's name is griffon. At the time I did not now any better but now I know that it is not griffon.

I did not want a dog with lots of hair, but I seem that I already fall in love with this little thing from the first site.

Thanks again for the pictures

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alpha- what breed/mix it is is secondary to IT'S A DOG. In order to take good care of it you are well prepared already as shown by joining us here (welcome to the forum by the way)

It needs food (good quality), shelter, love, companionship and compassion. As a mix, it's grooming will be specific to it's coat. I would invest in taking them to a groomer having them assess they coat and advise you on whether it should be trimmed & how.

There are lots of members here that will be able to give you more types of breeds that it could be. But it all boils down to he/she is all yours to love & cherish.

Thanks Dax for the welcoming, I agree with you. But I think you will also agree that I should know what I am raising.

pittiegurl

Now when I look from the side, the head profile looks slightly different than both the poodle and the coton.

I will keep searching.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to look at it and say it's not Coton. How big is it now? Cotons are a small nose breed, not to mention anything that is partally Coton is rarely born white. Usually Brown, grey or yellow. Mine was born almost completely brown. The only thing that may say Coton is the build, as the tail, and face and ears are completely off. There's more, but sorry for blabbering, my breed expertise.

Ok, now that I've discussed what it's NOT, I'd say that it does look partially poodle. Because of the tail, nose and narrow head shape... As for what it may be mixed with, hmmmm, I'll get back to you after I ponder a moment... or hour... or two.
    Last edited by Moo; 09-26-2004 at 11:19 AM.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

After browsing for few hours I would say it is a coton. Most of the photos in the web show the face front (of course) . I will not say I am positive untill I see a face profile (from the side) of a coton.

Bear with me my experiance only few days.

Blog Entries
    Ok, so maybe I can try to explain, but I won't be able to convince you of my conclusion. The nose, tail, ears and head shape look like poodle. Cotons have very round heads

Of course, I could always be wrong,but I'm quite positive.Well, I have an abundance of pictures over here.

This is my Coton, age 6 weeks

My Coton, 7 weeks

Of the attachemnts, sleeping Kirby is 8 weeks, Kirby with eyes open is about 6 months...

Would like to know, how big (heavy) is the dog now?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Blog Entries
    Oh, you should look into B'ichon. A little like a Coton, skinnier, more poodle-esque hair. Might be what we're looking at.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast