Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smelly ears

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

We just recently adopted a 9mos old border collie mix from a rescue shelter. We had him groomed before bringing him home 2 weeks ago. We have since started to smell an odor that we believe is eminating from him ears. I do take wet cotton balls and wipe his ears but do not think plain water is taking care of this odor. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I thought I had read somewhere that apple cider vinegar and water may be a good solution. Has anyone heard of this?

Thanks so much

Mom and WSS Breeder Senior Dog Member+ NicoleLJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am not a vet but I have volunteered for shelters and pounds as a trainer and foster home for over 12 years. So this is what I am thinking it most likely is. Ear Mites. Take your pup to the vet and if I am right they will prescribe an antibiotic that you will put in the ears every day, usually twice a day, for a week. Then you stop for a week, and then you do it agian for a week. THe reason for this is because of the eggs. The first week will kill all of them but the eggs and then a week later the eggs will hatch and the others can be kill during the next week. THis is something that can be passed easily from dog to dog and even to cats so I would get it checked. Hope this helps.
    Nicole & Sheena

Full Member Full Dog Member

Smelly ears signify ongoing ear infections. Cleaning them regularly, but it's best to see a vet to take care of it.

Full Member Full Dog Member

I agree...it could be an infection or mites. Take him to the vet and have it checked out.
    Love Me, Love My Dog!

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought my rotti pup (she almost 4 month now) had an ear infection or mites. The constant head shake, sweetish odor in ears, etc. When we first brough her home her ears were really dirty. But even after cleaning the head shake continued.

It turned out to be a fungual infection probably brought one my moisture from snow or perhaps even cleaning. Our vet's new apprentice prescribed treatment for one week but we still noticed the odd head shake.

I had my vet look again at last visit (he is not only the senior vet but owns rotti's too) and it turns out the head shake is the result of hairs in her ear canel (way down there) tickling her. Her ears are spotless now but still have an odor (just normal ear smells).

The morale is sometimes we do too much when there's really nothing wrong. The smell could be normal & only you find it unpleasant. Your vet can check during your next visit & even recommend good products.

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Talking

Thanks so much for all the replies. I did ask the vet since I had to take him there for an intestinal issue he was having. His ears were fine, just a smell I was not used to since I am an unexperienced new dog owner! But I am learning fast!

BoingBoing=Springers Senior Dog Member+ Ken Nielsen's Avatar

Take your dog to a different vet. An ear smell is a sign of problems with ear mites or infection. Infection can go deep into the ear canal and cause problems throughout the dogs life if not taken seriously and treated.

Your vet should have at least given you an ear solution to wash your dogs ears and clean them.

Please find another vet. I had a dog who had contracted deep inner ear infection and it was torturous to the dog for much of his older life and caused much expense and distress for me.

"apple cider vinegar and water may be a good solution. Has anyone heard of this?"

This is bad medicine. See a qualified vet for the correct ear cleaning solution. What you suggest above may cause even worse problems than you have right now.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a rotti and her ears smell. They are clean and have been looked deep into the canel. Giving someone advise to find a new vet because you had problems isn't right. This dog owner has done what they should... have it checked. They are aware of the issues and I'm sure will continue to monitor.

You are right doglover, I thought about that after I posted and I was wrong as you pointed out.

Thank You and My Appologies for going off on a tangent with this.

Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast