Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stacking puppies on blocks

Stacking puppies on blocks

I have never stacked puppies on blocks (happy legs, or similar) and I often see these wonderful photos of pups patiently waiting for their treat while beautifully stacked up on blocks.

Is 3 months too late to start doing this? If not - how do you get them to stay up on the blocks the first few times you use them (until they figure out the treat thing) .

Any experience, tips or schedule regarding starting with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Connie Taylor
    www.eidolonborzoi.com

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    No three months is not too late. Just get some blocks and a fairly treat hungry puppy. Put the blocks up on a table and then put the puppy up there. Treat them for being on the table. Then I try to pick up the puppies front and place both feet on a block. Hold a treat in front of the puppy so he doesn't move his feet. Then put your hand between the rear legs and lift him onto the other two block. This takes practice for person nad puppy. Then once they are standing how you want treat, and keep treating. It may take a number of sessions before your pup is standing still. also, even if he is you may want to pick up one foot at a time and set it back down to practice stacking, and to get the pup used to having each foot handled seperately. Good luck!

~Erin
    and the cattle dogs

thanks Erin
    Connie Taylor
    www.eidolonborzoi.com

Bewunderer der Hunde Dog Moderator FourIsCompany's Avatar
    Is there a specific command you give to get the dog to stack? Is it "stack"?

I use the stand command.

CONNIE, Penny had been on blocks at 8 weeks

But I did not really start training her on them until about 20 weeks.

They worked a MIRACLE for her. By the time we went to the ring on the day after she turned 6 mos old, she was standing for exam and showing her bite like a Special. It also really tuned up the free stacking. To this day, if I have her stacked and move to the end of the leash, if she moves a foot, and I say softly "eh eh" she puts it back.

Here is an example of a free stack in the ring.....

Wow - Penny looks awesome in that free stack. I'll give it a try and let you know how they do.
    Connie Taylor
    www.eidolonborzoi.com

Borzoid, if you know someone who is handy they are not hard to make. My husband made mine.

The foot blocks should be just big enough so that the foot has enough room on the surface when the dog is standing. Draw templates of the dog's front and back foot, and make the surface just slightly larger.

You can buy the grooved material like is on most grooming tables at any home supply warehouse. I found the magnets there for the bottom too.

Then I bought a metal oil changing pan at an auto store, stuck them on there, and I was all systems go.

Thanks Redyre I'll put my hubby to work on it.
    Connie Taylor
    www.eidolonborzoi.com

I've said it before and I will say it again - Penny is one of the best looking rotties I have EVER seen.
    A Lab and two Border Collies - can it get any better than this......

TYVM Trace and Borzoid.

We are out for 3 tries at huge majors next weekend (all 5 pointers). We will need all the positive vibes and throughts we can get. No matter what, with 30 bitches in competition for points, it's going to be tough going with nice really nice girls there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast