Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: floppy ears in a Siberian Husky???

Full Member Full Dog Member Bobbi's Avatar

Question floppy ears in a Siberian Husky???

I sold a Siberian Husky puppy to this lady 4 months ago & his ears were floppy and I suggested she tape them up which she has. He is 6 months old now & his ears will stay up for a day and them go back to being floppy.Does anyone have any suggestions? This is not a gentic defect as all of our Siberian have erect ears. She is really bummed about the ears.
    Thanks,
    Bobbi

Well, if the ears were going to stand I think they would have done so by now. Maybe you could suggest she tape them for a while longer and if they don't stand, tell her the pup will be replaced. Did she buy the dog as a show or breeding prospect or just pet quality? Maybe you could have the dog altered and rehome it with someone who doesn't mind floppy ears. It just seems to happen even with Shepherds sometimes.Somewhere down the lines there must have been a dog with soft ears.

She bought the puppy as pet quality and loves him to pieces, just not the floppy ear thing. I'm still hopeful for his ears to pop.
    Thanks,
    Bobbi

Quote Originally Posted by pung-yo
    Well, if the ears were going to stand I think they would have done so by now. Maybe you could suggest she tape them for a while longer and if they don't stand, tell her the pup will be replaced. Did she buy the dog as a show or breeding prospect or just pet quality? Maybe you could have the dog altered and rehome it with someone who doesn't mind floppy ears. It just seems to happen even with Shepherds sometimes.Somewhere down the lines there must have been a dog with soft ears.

We have had a lot of huskies in our time and a few litters and I never saw any husky with floppy ears...does this sort of thing happen frequently?

we've had 5 litters in all & this is the 1st flopper! This is why I'm hopeful that his ears will pop someday. hopefully...
    Bobbi

Quote Originally Posted by luvhowell
    We have had a lot of huskies in our time and a few litters and I never saw any husky with floppy ears...does this sort of thing happen frequently?

p/s we had 2 pups from the last litter that were dead ringers to your puppy advar picture.. too cute!!!
    Bobbi

Quote Originally Posted by luvhowell

Having a Baby Boy! Senior Dog Member+ Nightrise's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Our first Husky was a pet store puppy (sorry, I wasn't old enough to educate ) and she had floppy ears. They stopped flopping on their own but I could not for the life of me, tell you when. I was four, I just remember her silly ears.
    What's the point of running when you're already caught in the rain? Saturate with bleak dank bliss; no care in the world... I'm bleak--very bleak. Just happy to be me.

Collie Magical Senior Dog Member+ SalemWitchChild's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If they were going to come up on their own they would have by now. And I'm sorry but this is a genetic issue. It may be a rare occurrence but it is genetic.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings,
    we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

I actually have never seen floppy ears on a husky. So maybe they will go up eventually. Unless something could have damaged the cartilage, but I can't see damaging both ears. I guess you can wait a while if the buyer is willing. But if it's just a pet and she loves him to death, soft ears won't change his character, she might learn to live with it.

Having a Baby Boy! Senior Dog Member+ Nightrise's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It sounds genetic to me too. I've seen Husky puppies with floppy ears but never a full grown one. They might still have a chance because floppy ears among pups isn't all that rare, just never seen when fully grown.
    What's the point of running when you're already caught in the rain? Saturate with bleak dank bliss; no care in the world... I'm bleak--very bleak. Just happy to be me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast