Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much cold can they take?

How much cold can they take?

Its getting chilly here - was 50 F sometime back and I think chloe isnt comfortable outdoors- she starts shivering. How much cold can a puppy tolerate? Is there a temperature no no we should be aware of? She has a short coat being a beagle - will this thicken enough to protect her? Should I make her wear sweaters...this is new to me - last time I had a dog I was in hot hot Bombay where I was trimming their fur to keep them cool!
    My goal in life is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    Beagles rule!

Back for a minute.. Senior Dog Member ChandraRae's Avatar
    From http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?ID=12&sid=1

Can short haired dogs handle cold temperatures?

AnswerShort haired dogs such as Beagles, Dalmatians, and Dobermans, are not designed for extended outdoor exposures when the temperature dips below freezing.

From http://www.adoptabeagle.org/Outdoors.html

Your animal and COLD Weather!

Anytime temperatures are near, at or below freezing, your animal should be brought inside. A dog house is NOT enough. Consider placing them in the bathroom, laundry room or make a bed for them beside your bed.

When temperatures are very cold, an animal can get sick or even die. But
    even if they do not get sick, they are miserable being outside in very cold temperatures for periods of more than an hour. Imagine yourself staying outside all day or all night, even wearing a coat, you would feel awful and wish for a warm place.

In cold weather, animals Need More Food since their body uses up energy trying to stay warm. Make certain to give animals 'extra' food during the cold months.

This is a LONG article with lots of good info

http://www.goodnewsforpets.com/petwo...oldweather.htm

Hope these help!
    "I thought it was completely obvious by now that I have no idea what I'm doing."

Dobermonster Mom Senior Dog Member+ dobermom's Avatar
    I have 2 dobermans, last year was Cliffords first winter, he was born in July. He loved the snow, but not for extended periods. The best advice that was given to me, I will pass on to you..."If your too hot or too cold, so is your doberman." Same would go for beagles. I think mine are better in the cold than heat. He hates the heat, would rather sit in the AC.
    The other problem I ran into was, when the snow got icy it cut his little pads. Just be careful and watch your little baby.

How old is Chloe ? The younger the dog , the easier they get cold . Dobermom is right , try and imagine how you would feel outside , in a garment the same thickness as your dogs coat - and do for her what you would do for you . Sweaters are great , Frankie has stopped shivering outside since I got him his - I let him wear it in the house too , as he only kicks it off when he is warm enough !

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Kirby was 7 months old during his first snow. Cotons have this fine coat, no undercoat, but he was out in the snow for hours and hours. Of course, he had shuge ice balls and snow chunks stuck to his fur afterwards, and it took me an hour to thaw him out, but he enjoyed it with no ill effects. He has a jacket, a rain racket with coton lining, but the colour bleeds on him if the inside gets wet, so I don't let him swear it when he rolls in the snow.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Senior Dog Member
    To a dog anything above freezing is warm.
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the rule that your dog will tell you when they don't like the weather. When it gets really cold here I limit our walks to about 20 minutes at a time (if I am cold with a coat on so are the dogs). Ariel as a puppy would refuse to leave the yard when it was miserable and would head back inside. {SMARTY}

Watch your dog and let them tell you when they've had enough.

With electrolytes Senior Dog Member+ Meisti's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Really depends on the dog, not just the breed. Just as humans feel cold at different temps, so do dogs, even within the same breed. I'm a Border Collie owner and have repeatedly noted that while Max is willing and happy to go swimming in an icy river, other Border Collies were very unhappy sitting in the snow for more than a few minutes. Observe your dog and he/she will let you know. Dogs shiver when they get really cold and I'd say that should be just about as much exposure to the cold that they should get. At that point, get your dog inside asap. I would suspect that your dog will get a thicker coat if the temperatures get cold. Max always did - just as his coat got thinner when it turned really hot.

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Definitely from individual dogs. Kirby has a havanese friend, same deal as the Coton, greasier coat... it lives in an insulated purse in the winter.
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Labified Senior Dog Member+ GretaJack's Avatar
    I agree, definitely depends on the dog, but also as well as the weather conditioning the dog has. My dogs are outside during the day while I am at work. They grow decent winter coats. They are also labs. The male yellow I used to have would go duck hunting in below freezing weather and come out of the river with icicles. Greta, on the other hand can be a bit sissy. Jack simply doesn't care. He loves the outdoors.

If your dog spends most of its time inside, and only goes out to potty, it is going to be much more vulernable to the cold.
    See Jacob grow http://katiejmcnamara.blogspot.com

Missed Greatly, Forever Remembered. In memory of my lost ones; Moby (9/13/03), Carbon (09/13/03), Tanner (10/16/05), Aries (07/31/07) and Millie (09/25/07).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast