Thread: Difficult situation, suggestions?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Hi, I've got an older dog, she's according to what we've been told between 10-13 years old! We've had her 8 years now, when we adopted her the rescue people told us she was a little over a year. But later that year she escaped from our yard and ended up at the pound and they told us she was anywhere from 4-6 years old. My problem is this, our landlord died several months ago, and we have to move. We already have found a home(a GOOD home) for our Australian Shepherd. But he was in good health. Our older dog isn't, she's very thin, and her urine comes out clear. Money is VERY tight considdering everything and we deffinately couldn't have her treated. We can't take her with us when we move. I'm very upset about this but the only option seems to be to euthanize her. I really don't want to, we've had her longer than any other pet before. It would kill me to do it, but is there any other way? We have to be moved by the second or 3rd week of January. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

If I were in that situation, I would have her put to sleep. Do you know what's wrong with her? It sort of sounds like kidney failure considering the urine, thiness, and age. And there's not treatment for that. Talk to your vet about it, but you don't want to prolong her suffering, or put her in a home that can't care for a sick elderly dog.

She doesn't really seem to be suffering. She still plays, wags her tail, gets excited when we come home, eats. She drinks a TON...But yea, considdering the situation I ugess putting her down would be best?

Well, based on everything you just told me, I guarentee you 100% that she's having kidney failure. That is all of the classic symptoms. The only way to tell for sure would be to run blood tests. If she does, all they can do is give you special food that she probably won't eat (it only slows down the disease), give fluids (helps to remove toxins and is very, very expensive even if you do it yourself), or put her to sleep.

Okay, thanks for the help.

I am so sorry to hear about your tough situation. that's a hard call to make. It sounds to me also, that her kidneys are starting to fail her, excessive drinking and weight loss are classic symptoms of kidney problems. It may be time to let her go. If i were you, the sooner the better, you don't want the stress of moving, as well as mourning the loss of your pet. Good luck...
    Nothing like a cold nose to wake you in the morning, (except maybe three cold noses)

Senior Dog Member

sounds more like diabetes insipidus to me (a hormone problem - affects the kidneys but its not necaessarily the kidneys that have gone wrong). still not very treatable at this late stage so if you cant find anyone willing to take on a dog with problems i would suggest doing your old friend the final kindness and putting her to sleep so she can at least die loved and with dignity.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Just curious, why do you think it sounds like diabetes?

Senior Dog Member

I know that in humans excessive drinking and weight loss can be signs of diabetes. Also diabetes tends to affect the kidneys. I'm not sure if it's the same in dogs - but I had a family member have kidney failure because of her diabetes.

It's also symptoms of kidney failure. Really those signs when seen with diabetes are caused by the kidney problems that go along with it. I'm just curious as to if there were something missing that Lou caught signifying that it is diabetes instead of just kidney failure.