Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going though cycle again?

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

Question Going though cycle again?

I have a 10 month old Boston Terrier. She went through her first cycle about a month ago. In the last couple of days, she's been swelling and bleeding again. Is this normal? This is the first time I've owned a pet since I was a child. Please help! She seems like she's pretty sore-avoiding sitting and playing with my kids and me.
    Last edited by puppy-face; 10-16-2004 at 05:54 PM.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The first question I have to ask is: Was she properly isolated during the cycle? I would also ask if she has been checked by a vet recently?

Our resident breeding expert will be sure to have the answer when she comes on (all hail...)
    Last edited by Dax; 10-16-2004 at 07:58 PM.

Couch Potato Senior Dog Member+Senior Dog Moderator Dax's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry that the breeding experts haven't been online. I found this reference for you;

Anyway, I think that it sounds like your dog is in heat. The estral period in dogs normally lasts about 21 days but that can vary a lot. At first there is bleeding with vulvar swelling, then the bleeding slows or stops for a week or so. This period of no bleeding is the fertile period in the heat cycle. Then there is a return of bleeding but usually less than before
    and that goes on a week or so. The variability in length of heat cycles in ******* is pretty drastic. Some ******* are throught the whole process in two weeks or so and others drag it out for 4 to 6 weeks and sometimes even longer.

If you don't want her to have puppies keep the male dogs away from her!
    If you go the the HEATLH Forum, there are several sites listed. The information above is from VETINFO.

Can't stress this enough - if you are not going to breed her (and I hate to say this but you might not have the doggy knowledge to be a good breeder) then spay her as soon as possible.

It was my weekend Dax, you know what it's like, hubby home etc. etc.
    PF I need specific dates. If the cycle started a month ago, possibilites are she may still be in that cycle. All depending on dates.
    She should never bleed once the cycle is over. The only reason for that could be an infection in the uterus which needs emergency VET attention.
    She is at the end of her cycle still.
    She became pregnant and is aborting the pups.

I don't think she is pregnant. She stays inside with us and when she's out, she's also with us. My best estimate of her cycle is that she started about 6 weeks ago, bled for about 4 weeks and has started up again, much lighter, in the last 3-4 days. I have her an appointment with her vet on Wed. just in case.

Sounds like the last of her heat cycle. But, just to be sure I would take her to the vets, unfortunately they can get what is called pyometra, which is an infection of the womb. It is most common in those that experienced phantom pregnancies, yours having her first heat would not have gone through this.
    Pyometra can be life threatening, the longer it is left the slimmer the chance of survival.
    Of course dates are paramount here in advise from the forum, I am not a vet, but I know date time frames.
    The heat cycle can go anything up to 30 days. Slight bleeding at the end not uncommon. But as you are not definate on the dates, I would stick with your vet visit.

Thanks so much for the information! I'll keep you posted on her visit tomorrow.

That would be nice to know about Puppyface. I have been rereading your time frames, even the bleeding for 4 weeks is not common. I have a lab that does bleed the whole cycle, but she doesn't stop after 4 weeks then start again.

Normally the cycle goes like this. Averages only, not precise as every dog is different.
    Start of heat: Swollen vulva, slight mucky discharge..goes for 4 or so days.
    Middle of heat: Swollen vulva, bleeding, goes for 12 days.
    Mating: 12th day, bleeding ceases, dog stands, allows male to mate.
    End of mating: Dog no longer stands, refuses male by 16th day.
    End of heat: Dog no longer flirting, heat ceases by 20th day. Slight bleeding can occur between the 16th up to the 20th day.

There are many variences of the above. My female would not mate till her 16th day and would stand till her 21st day. Finish her cycle after 30 days. (Sophie, now speyed).
    Ellie falls into the category I have described above though.
    Some will mate on the 10th day after bleeding.

Hope all is well, be nice to hear from you soon.

Hello again! I just got back from the vet with Missy(Puppy Face is one of many nicknames!). She is fine and the vet said the bleeding was probably the end of her cycle. She really didn't bleed at all yesterday and my time frame was maybe a bit long. I know next time to mark it on a calendar or something. She's back to normal now--playing with us as she always did though she may be sore for a few days now from her shots. Thanks again for all your help and support!

Phew!! What a relief. Thankyou so much for letting us know.
    Yep, keep track of her time frame for heat cycles, it is very helpful knowledge to have.
    Not for us so much, but for yourself.
    Especially if you are planning on breeding.
    Give her a hug for me.
    Cheers Ellierat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast