Thread: sweating dog

Christopher's Mommy Senior Dog Member+ shanniesue2's Avatar

Question sweating dog

just got done talking with someone in chat, and I don't know if he will post or not, so I thought I'd ask the question because now I'm curious.

He said he has a yellow lab that is 7-8 years old and itches and sweats all over his body and that his body temp is constantly high. He said the dog has been like since since it was born. It is his fiancee's dog and he is not sure what kind of food they are feeding. He took it to the only vet in the area and she recommended PTS saying the dog had a lie-long disease that develops after the age of 3 where the dog cannot regulate its body temp. But if the dog has been like this since a puppy, then it couldn't be an adult onset disease. I tried to look online and find if there were any articles about dog's sweating all over their body, but couldn't find anything. I recommended one of those cool pack collars and a kiddie pool for the dog to splash around in. Maybe even a wet doggie sweater for short periods of time. I also suggested to put the dog in a crate for short periods with a fan blowing on him. He told me that they have tried this and tried putting the dog in the basement where it is cooler, but when they do this the dog gets too cold. Stops itching, but gets too cold. I also suggested checking the food for any high allergenic ingredients. And of course I suggested taking the dog to a different vet, but there isn't another vet in the local area.

Does anyone have any ideas or input about this type of condition?
    Save a life: adopt an animal
    Kitty: adopted in May 2000
    Georgie: adopted in June 2006
    Oliver: adopted in October 2006

Count the Cotons Senior Dog Moderator Moo's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Fact is, dogs only have sweat glands on the pads of their feet...
    ♫ Come and knock on our door.... ♪

Christopher's Mommy Senior Dog Member+ shanniesue2's Avatar
    I know... that's all I could find about dogs sweating... but I was told that the dog was wet from sweating all over... I didn't know if there was some rare disorder or something... or maybe he's not wet from sweating? maybe the wet is from drool or something else? but all over wet from drool? of course it doesn't make any more sense than all over wet from sweating when dogs only have sweat glands on their feet
    Save a life: adopt an animal
    Kitty: adopted in May 2000
    Georgie: adopted in June 2006
    Oliver: adopted in October 2006

Crazy Like My Boxers Senior Dog Member+ BratBoxers's Avatar
    Maybe its over active oil being produced prob should find out what food the dog is being fed and try bathing in a really good shampoo. Yeast problem maybe.
    Bratcher's Kentucky Sunrise, CGC
    RagTyme Bratcher's Box office hit

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member
    My German Shepherd when checked is very sweaty under his front arms and rear legs. When he lays on you, you can get damp from his excessive sweating from these areas.

Master Groomer Senior Dog Member+ Cearbhaill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dogs with seborrhea feel moist and hot.

First thing I would do is contact the vet who made the original Dx and ask them to spell the name of the disease/condition that causes the body temperature snafu.