Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heat cycle after pups

Junior Member Junior Puppy Member

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how soon after a litter of pups my dog may go back into heat? I know it says every dog is different and can be from every 4 months 2 sometimes 1 time a year. But does the time start from when she first went in2 heat or from when she had her pups I just do not want to breed back to back and want to try to be on the look out for her she had a litter on 10/6/03 so it's only been going on 3 months but I thought she looked swollen but it just maybe my imagination Just wondering so I know! Any info would be great! THANX!!!!!
    Ang

Full Member Full Dog Member

i don't think she is in heat this soon, it takes a/b 6 months for it to happen again....
    here r some websites that should help u
    http://www.petcaretips.net/dogs_in_heat.html
    http://www.gotoasheville.com/Article...icles_12.html,
    if u still can't tell just keep her away from the male and bring her to the vet, they should be able to tell u. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    this is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be <br />when the world was younger and you had everything to lose

Smile

Thanx 4 the info and the web sites!
    Ang

Full Member Full Dog Member

your welcome, keep us (me lol) posted
    this is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be <br />when the world was younger and you had everything to lose

Senior Dog Member

it depends on the dog, i had a b.itch that used to come back into heat as soon as the pups were weaned at 8 wks, but then i have one now who doesnt cycle for a full year after having pups.
    Lou
    If you want something done ask a busy person to do it.

Red face

well I guess I got my answer I figured she wasn't in heat and i put her out 2 pee in my yard went into get my crying daughter and went back out and the neighbors dog had jumped the fence and tied with my dog so I guess I know now that she is in heat
    I have a stud in the house 2 and kept them apart just in case so now I don't know what to do cuz I am pretty concerned about her just haveing a litter 4 months ago and mayb now preg again back 2 back like that She's a bull mastiff on top of it and although she hasn't had any trouble with delivery (she's 4 and has only had 2 litters) she did miscarry 1 in her last litter a week prior 2 delivery which was pretty scarey...
    anyways just kinda curious if any1 has ever breed back 2 back like this and if so is there any problems I should know about or anything I should be concerned about if by chance she did get preg in that 1 time tie?!
    Ang

Senior Dog Member

we have bred dogs back to back - a younger dog that had a small litter the first time round (and once by accident like you). Its not usually a problem - but its best then to have a longer than normal interval to the next litter. You will also need to pay close attention to her body condition and keeping her fit and healthy. Generally intensive breeding isnt good for animals - but as long as its just the two litters and she doesnt ahve a third for quite a while you should be ok.
    Lou

Smile

Thanks!! I was alittle concerned cuz I know it's not good thats why she's only been bred 2 times...
    I think she was 2 the first time and she had a big litter 9 pups then we waited another 2 years and she had a small litter 3 and I know she had a rough time the last time not with the delivery but with the preg. in general (cuz of her miscarring) so I am just concerned!!!!!!! Thanks thou for the info mayb I won't worry as much! lol [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Ang

Senior Dog Member

just keep an eye on her and she'll be ok. Take her for regular vet checks and then the vet can tell you if he has any concerns over her condition and advise you on a good feeding programme for her.

Lou

A female dog has a cycle ever 6 months, even if she has pups. Some dogs only come into heat once a year. But it does not matter if they have pups or not. It will always be 6 months from the time they come into heat. After they have pups they are a little swollen. I wouldn't worry unless she is running fever or has diarrhea. I always check my Danes fever and start from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast